Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IFG Bullseye on it's way

singleshotcajun

After my recent purchase of a blue steel Witness 45/.22 combo I've been hankering for another Tanfoglio.After much research(what little there is to find) I settled on the only SA competition frame Tanfoglio I could find.I think many of us have seen the one in question for sale on Gun broker as listed by Wholesale hunter. The picture was of a limited full on race gun but the stock number was for a 45 ACP Bullseye.Price was 934.00.Kind of reminds me of this thread

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=156721

I really wanted a Hunter but word on the street is that no more will be imported. I hate shiny guns but this will be a range toy only. My criteria was 1.A Tanfoglio large competition frame in 9mm or 45 ACP 2. six inch barrel and SA only. My .22 Long slide upper will fit this frame as will a 9mm LS upper that I intend to purchase then my plain Witness steel 45 can do "carry" duty. I may have to get into some kind of games with this new toy. I mainly shoot Service Rifle and 3 Position Smallbore Rifle but I'm thinking of expanding my horizons a bit. What categories of shooting sports are open for the Bullseye pistol ? Even I can figure out that NRA Bullseye match's should be legal for it but are there any others ? I will update when the pistol arrives and do the requisite reviews.

Congratulations on the find! I can't wait to hear all about it.

USPSA Limited (Limited-10 Major with the .45 upper and Limited Minor with the 9mm) will be the game for you and your Bullseye. Just get yourself some base pads from Henningshootsguns.com to extend your mags to 140mm, a CR Speed holster and you're off to the races!

Edited by kneelingatlas

Do you want the weight of the slide alone? Wholesale Hunter finally sent me a tracking number yesterday. A first delivery attempt was made yesterday. I'm using a new to me dealer for the transfer as he gives a significant discount to CHL holders the only problem is that He does not have a store front and UPS delivery may be sketchy, we will see. I normally use a store front ffl down the street from my home but I am FRUGAL and this guy gives CHL holders a twenty dollar break from the customary fee in my area.

Picked it up today. Man this thing is gorgeous.The slide does not have the milled slots as I expected but for me it is a plus.The right side of the slide is stamped Gold Match and the left has Bullseye.Frame to slide fit is superb,I will eventually mic it but lets just say it is nice and tight. It is a large frame as expected.Seems to be a chrome plated Hunter,basically.As much as I hate shiny guns this finish is not offensive to me,it seems more like matte stainless than brushed chrome.My .22 Lr Longslide upper fit nicely maybe a little too tight we will see, might have to do some fitting on it.I did not weigh the slide(too excited) but I'm sure it is heavier than most expected since it does not have the milled slots.If any of my scales can weigh it I'll try to remember and do it.This pistol has an inspection tag from 2011.Lots of goodies came with it,extra mag,multi piece brass cleaning rod with assorted jags,two differently weighted operating springs and apparently some screws and a link to do with the trigger. Well here are the obligatory crappy un boxing photos. I plan on shooting it Friday.

th_IMG_7513_zpsdb629177.jpgth_IMG_7517_zpsd76df1dd.jpg

the rest

http://s84.photobuck...ullseye 45 ACP/

Edited by singleshotcajun

Cajun, does it have a cone lockup barrel?

It does not.Six inch straight barrel.The lack of milling cuts in the slide does not bother me.No reference to trigger adjusting screws in the owners manual does bother me.The manual is the same one that came with my Witness steel 45. I will likely play around with the adjusting screws but I like the feel of the trigger as is. Weight of the additional springs are in Kg.I've never had a pistol come with optional springs before but then again I've never dropped this much coin on a single handgun either. Edited by singleshotcajun

Description from Bud's GUnshop

"Factory New

Italian Firearms Group Tanfoglio Bullseye .40S&W

Features: 6” Barrel With Polygonal Rifling (For Increased Accuracy And Longer Life), 14+1 capacity, Lighter Slide With Four Holes (Increasing Pistol Balance), Tanfoglio World Famous Custom Competition Frame, Large Frame / Full Size, Auto Firing Pin Block, Cocked and Locked Safety on Frame, Chrome, Checkered Front / Back Strap, Extended Mag Release, Extended Safety, Fully Adjustable Sight, Full Length Dust Cover, Removeable Front Sight, Single Action, Drilled & Tapped for Scop Mount, Wooden Checkered Grips, Reversible Custom Magazine Catch, Skeletonized Hammer, Fully Adjustable Supersight, Spare Magazine, Cleaning Kit and Hard Carry Case"

There seems to be a little confusion. I purchased this Bullseye off Gunbroker from Wholesale Hunter. The link in my original post is to another thread in which another member discussed His purchase or attempted purchase from Bud's. FWIW my thoughts on Bud's,I've bought many guns from Bud's and have not been disappointed with their customer service.Lately they have gotten BUSY very BUSY and many orders are taking a long time to ship and you can count yourself lucky if you can speak to someone in CS on the phone.Recently I purchased my Witness Steel 45/22 combo and an Armalite AR 24TC from them and that went as smooth as can be. Back to the Bullseye listing. On Gunbroker Wholesale Hunter had this picture.IFG20500014_zps02b3ccf1.jpg

Price was $922.88 with the "Buy it now" ooption

They only gave the Tanfoglio item number. If the limited Custom had come in that would have been OK too ;). The varied nomenclature on Tanfoglio/Witness/IFG/EAA pistols is enough to give an obsessive compulsive such as myself all kinds of fits.Apparently mine is a Tanfoglio Gold Match Bullseye and the ones they are advertising now are Bullseyes.

Description from Bud's Gunshop

They're cut rate internet internet sellers, you don't really expect them to know what they're selling do you?

You definitely have to do your do diligence and research as you will not get anyone on the phone that can answer questions other than ones about what is in stock and have you shipped.All too often Bud's shows a different photo than the one listed but the stock numbers are most always right.At the point of transfer you have the option to decline if something is broken or not what you ordered.I never have had to decline a shipment.My big problem with Bud's is that they make it too easy with that doggone twelve months no interest financing. Edited by singleshotcajun

$922 for chrome!!?? DAMN!!!!

Good DAMN or bad damn? The dollar is weak thus all foreign made goods these days come with a weak dollar "tax".

I adjusted the over travel screw on the factory trigger last night.I don't think this trigger has a pre travel adjustment even though a separate instruction sheet shows it.

I shot a Smallbore match this moring in the rain and walked on down to the pistol area after to play with my new toy.Well my first shot failed to light the primer,recocked, hit it again and it went bang.Two more of the first ten did the same thing.I thought I had done a good job cleaning the packing grease but I pulled of the slide and depressed the firing pin with a toothpick and sprayed Kroil in the firing pin hole and then blew it out with Blowoff duster in a can(great thing to keep in the range bag). After the Kroil trick things went as they should. Somewhere around shot fifty things really started humming and with 230 gr ball was shooting very acceptable groups at twenty-five yards.I only brought 100 rounds of 45 with me and wished I had brought more.The extra weight really helps mitigate recoil, this pistol is pleasant to shoot.I can see why some folks have gripped about the checkering butt thank God my hands are callused I love the sharp raised checkering but if you have soft hands it would be a problem.On to the twenty-two longslide upper. Out of three hundred rounds I only had one jam and one dud.The dud went off with a second strike and the jamb was my fault. I let thumb of my support hand ride on the slide and I knew it when it happened.The twenty-two cycled well and shot very well with both CCI MM and Federal copper plated "Champion" bulk pack ammo. No doubt I will be ordering a 9mm Longslide upper now.I am very pleased with the stock trigger and will likely only change it out if I ever decide to play in any competition other than my rifle club's matches.

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations!!!

My understanding, gained from photos and description at, I believe, the Tanfoglio web site (Italy), the 45ACP model does not have the slots in the slide while the 9mm and 40 cal do. In other photos floating around the internet of the 45ACP model there are no slots in the slide. There was a Bullseye model at gunsamerica that I missed by about 5 days--when I was ready to pick up the phone and do the deal, it had been sold. No where in any of my research on the gun did I ever see (or at least notice) it was a chromed gun--I thought it was stainless. I would have been horrified to find out the hard way, as my plan all along was to send it off straightaway to be melonized throughout. Wow--THAT would have been a Sev 1 screwup on my part. In any case, what a gorgeous target gun. I also had no idea there was, essentially, a .22 'conversion kit' for it...that's all new to me not being familiar with the line.

I'm happy to say I have the Witness Hunter on its way in 10mm...can't wait to heft its massive splendor and get familiar with it. Congrats again on the magnificent Gold Match.