Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 45 ACP 230 grain RNF Bullet

texasdog

Hello, this question has probably been asked before. I'm hoping to get the most up to date opinions.

I have been using Molly bullets from Black Bullets International and Precision Bullets.

What 45 ACP 230 grain bullet do you prefer for heavy use, bulk purchasing, and of course reliability and accuracy?

Looks like zero has a long lead time. Is FMJ better than Moly. Should I worry about copper fouling? The bullet looks like it will run smooth.

You should also checkout Montana Gold for FMJ, and Bayou bullets if considering Moly.

I personally use BBI 230gr for match ammo, but I would also recommend 230gr LRN from JD Sales for a cheaper alternative for practice or match use. I use Lead 230gr RN bullets for practice and don't change anything about my load from BBI. Slightly higher velocity, but accuracy is the same and I don't have any leading in my Sentry at all.

http://shooterready.biz/Cast_Bullets.html

Thanks. BBI seems to have the best support that I have seen so far and they always have stock. Too bad every Glock I buy needs a drop in barrel to use them but that's another subject :)

I like BBI and precision, precision says the swag there bullets instead of casting, I'm probably being too critical but do you think this matters? I'd like to make one or two purchases of bullets, know what the powder grain needs to be and just keeping running the machine! That would be nice.

Thanks. BBI seems to have the best support that I have seen so far and they always have stock. Too bad every Glock I buy needs a drop in barrel to use them but that's another subject :)

Which brands/weights moly bullets have you tried in which Glocks? I've only tried BBI's 9mm 130gr and Precision's .45 200gr. I haven't noticed any real fouling issues, but I've only shot a small number of each (G17, G34, G21, G30).

There was a problem with the coating rubbing off very easily from my first batch of BBI 9mm, but when I contacted them about it, they sent another batch that didn't have that issue. I'm not sure what to do with the originals other than use them as safe ballast.

njl

I have owned BBI since February of 2012 and have never been contacted regarding an issue for coating on the an bullet. We have not manufactured the 130 since April of 2012 when the molds were replaced with with a 125TC. When were they purchased and replaced?

Your issues may have come from previous ownership. I invite you to try us again and I am certain you will be satisfied with the changes.

Edited by cslafrain

Replied in the other thread too...I wasn't trying to dump on your product or company...just mentioning what happened with my first order. This was back in late 2010, and the only reason I haven't ordered more is I've been going through them real slow (haven't quite used up the first box of 500). I'm also still trying to figure out what load to go with. I've mostly just loaded small test batches with Universal, WST, and Longshot.

It's a little disappointing to see that the 130gr (mine are actually 132gr) is no longer available. :(

I was disappointed as well. The molds were shot and when the new molds came in the bullets weighed in at 125. Rather than scrap them and start over I decided to keep them and pick up the 135 gr molds in Q1 of 2013 to add to our product offering. For 9mm VV-n320 performed best for me with WST and Solo100 as a good backup. For 40 -WST is my goto and I use clays for 45. Give us a call sometime and we will see if we can help you work out the load.

I can't remember if it was a BBI bullet, it very well could have been precision but again I can't remember. A buddy of mine told me never to run lead through a Glock. I never had and thought moly was ok. I had a Glock 21 that my wife was shooting and it seemed to have jammed. I couldn't move the slide or release it. Well I took it home and after some prying and a lot of work I got the gun apart.

Turns out the barrel had swollen up. I couldn't get the barrel back in if I tried. I had a kkm drop in that just arrived and there was no other damage so I dropped the kkm barrel in and it runs fine with moly but it likes the OAL to be shorter. My Kimber 1911 doesn't care what I put in it.

So, not pointing fingers at all and can't remember which moly manufacturer I was using at the time, this was about 3 years back. It was enough for me to decide to never use a stock barrel.

I just made up 8,000 BBI rounds, can't remember ever having problems with them and there support is great. They seem to be a great company, I just use 45 ACP and only in my 1911. The Glocks rarely get fired. They are more for home defense. I'd thought about getting a second Glock 21 but would never use the stock barrel. I just don't trust their barrels after the one expanded while my wife was using it.

I just read BBI's reply. All the bullets I had in stock were purchased in 2009. I stocked up a while back and took up another hobby for a while. Now the machine is dusted off and I'm making up the 11,000 plus bullets I had in stock. I have 2,000 more precision 230g RNF to make up then its time to get more stock before my wife cuts my budget :)

The first and only time I've seen a squib was at IDPA nationals a few years back. The guy acted like it happened to him a lot....not sure what type of reloader he was running but that seemed crazy to me.

I haven't seen a squib since but I tell my wife and any guest what to watch out for. It's possible but I'm very careful and I run a xl650 with powder check. I never had any trouble with powder on my machine. It seems to be very steady with accurate no2. It's always possible that it was a squib. With what I've heard about Glock stock barrels I just assumed that was the case. It was a few years back. My wife says she doesn't remember, it seemed like a jam and that's when she gave it to me. Scary thought if that was the case. I got her a STI 1911 9mm and she runs manufactured rounds, Winchester usually. She likes the new kick and 9mm are cheap to buy in bulk.