Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load using lead 180's that won't lead Edge barrel needed

Jimbo76

I am trying to load Missouri Bullet #5 lead (180 grain TCFP) for my Edge. Latest try was 5 grains of WSF. Leading was horrible. Does anyone out there have a load that doesn't lead up their STI Edge with these bullets. I was trying to make major power factor but I don't have to. I can just use them for practice if need be. I have chronoed my loads at 960 + FPS. Too much ? Previous load used WST at 4.8 grains. I am belling out the case pretty well and my taper crimp on the 650 leaves only a slight ring in the lead. Any less and it would not hold the bullet tight enough. Also using a short COAL of like 1.11. Thanks in advance for any help. Getting tired of using chore boy after only firing 40 rounds !

Bring your load down a touch...looks like 173PF 180grX960=172800...IDP #5

.401 Diameter

.40 S&W/10mm

180 Grain TCFP

Brinell 18

For Major Power Factor

That bullet should be alright, might try another powder. I use 4.8 of N320 with lead and it seems to work great...Don't have the chrono numbers right now.. I use the Missouri for Cowboy action and precision bullets for uspsa and idpa. Going to switch to Bayou Bullets after i run out.

Your crimp is to heavy if it is leaving a ring on the bullets. Just use a taper crimp ie just smooth ot the belling with no inward curve. If the case mouth scrapes off lead you are going to get gas cutting for sure. Missouri bullets have the beveled base which doesn't help. Try softer then harder bullets as well. Make one adjustment at a time to fix the problem.

Take Care

Bob