Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Long 1911 ejector?

primo86gt

I have a Bul M5, Shoots great but ejects the spent round over my right forarm / elbow about 8ft and is hits the range glass about 4ft up, there is a row of chairs along the back wall and the brass hits anyone sitting there in the head. Im going to measure all the ejectors in my other 1911's and maybe shorten it up. Most of my other guns the brass lands at their feet.. And probably change the the slide spring out. Any thoughts??

Comparing it to other 1911s is a good idea, I know my Kimber would not run until I shortened and profiled the ejector using a great guide on the Brazos website.

I read the article after I made some other changes, good read and I profiled the ejector as described works great now, still throws an occasional 4 1/2 to 5 ft. case but most of them fall about a 1 1/2 ft from my right foot, no more flyers..

I have a Bul M5, Shoots great but ejects the spent round over my right forarm / elbow about 8ft and is hits the range glass about 4ft up, there is a row of chairs along the back wall and the brass hits anyone sitting there in the head. Im going to measure all the ejectors in my other 1911's and maybe shorten it up. Most of my other guns the brass lands at their feet.. And probably change the the slide spring out. Any thoughts??

Comparing it to other 1911s is a good idea, I know my Kimber would not run until I shortened and profiled the ejector using a great guide on the Brazos website.

I read the article after I made some other changes, good read and I profiled the ejector as described works great now, still throws an occasional 4 1/2 to 5 ft. case but most of them fall about a 1 1/2 ft from my right foot, no more flyers..

so the brass that was rocketing 8 - 12 feet is now dribbling 2 feet out of your gun. Did you overspring it? Contouring the ejector should change the angle of exit from your gun, but without reducing slide speed your spent cases will still be thrown the same distance. Reducing the rearward slide speed requires that you either change the load you are shooting or replacing the mainspring/recoil spring combo.