Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glocked brass in an STI .40?

Hollowhandle

Brass picked up off the range is not trash. Millions and millions of rounds have been loaded and fired without a problem. One instance of operator error is not the fault of the components.

Edited by wgj3

If its been left on action bays its trash. How many times do you hear guys say" I shoot major 9 so I can just leave it." Or " 40 is so cheap I just leave it." Thats not trash to you? When I started 20 + years ago you could go to an ipsc match and bays were relatively clean. Now days you need a rake just to clean the garbage brass the people leave behind.

We are just going to have to disagree. Should we have let him leave the range with a hot gun even though the rules specifically don't allow it? And what exactly is your procedure for clearing a gun that would take a gorilla to open? Take it home I guess?

Have fun dude.

Edited by ipscjoe

I run it thru a Redding G-Rx and have a U die on station one. This combo works well for me.

Same thing here and not a single issue. I G-RX all my .40 brass every time so I don't have any issue. Might be overkill but I have so much .40 brass I only have to sit down and do it once a year over a few days of watching TV and pulling the handle on the single stage press I have screwed to a 2x4 that I clamp to the coffee table.

• 2 weeks later...

Do I need to worry if range brass was fired in a Glock before I reload for my STI .40? I bought some processed brass from Shooters Connection when I started reloading this caliber but I have a whole bucket of range collected .40.

I use once fired 40 S&W brass picked up from LEO's who fire Glocks. They function in my STI Trojan. As a matter of policy I scrap brass from the high pressure cartridges (9mm, 40 S&W) after four reloads. In the low presuure cartridges (38 Special, 45 ACP) I tend to use the brass until I detect fraying at the neck.

Do I need to worry if range brass was fired in a Glock before I reload for my STI .40? I bought some processed brass from Shooters Connection when I started reloading this caliber but I have a whole bucket of range collected .40.

Don't know if it's still happening, but my Son bought 1k, once fired 40 S&W Federal brass from Shooters, and immediately started having primer seating issues with his XL650. We discovered that a bunch of the brass were Federal NT stamped and had crimped primer pockets. So, we've set those aside for now.....

IMO, running range collected .40 through a GR-X or Bulge Buster will produce brass that will function in any pistol.

:cheers:

I wonder what caused that round to go off being extracted. Sorry to hear it blew up on you and glad you were able to share that story. Will make me think twice clearing a pistol that is stuck out of battery. Usuallly I see that problem from not crimping enough but I too use a U die and look for visably overly bulged brass.

If you don' t have access to a roll sizer, then buy a Lee standard sizing die for .40/10mm. It does not have the same taper that the Dillon unit does. It will go down and resize the bulge whereas the Dillon sizer won't all the time. For ease of use, you should also use dillon case lube. It makes things so much easier on you and the machine. Try it for yourself.

Good luck,

DougC

I use a basic Lee 4-Die set for my .40 STI Edge and have not had a problem with brass fired from Glocks.

These guys have it figured out. I started out using the Lee dies and couldn't figure out what everyone was talking about when mentioning "GLOCKed" brass and why it was so special. I then started using a caliper on before and after brass and saw that 1., there WAS such a thing as the infamous Glock bulged brass, and 2. It really didn't matter to me since my dies were taking out any and all bulges anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Been doing it for years. My solution is a EGW u-die on the front end, and a Lee Factory Crimp Die in the last station. Not a problem since.

I just started doing this as well. I had a bad run of ammo that would cause failure to go into battery, but I think it was because my FCD backed out a bit and I was crimping 40 at .425ish