Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glocked brass in an STI .40?

Hollowhandle

Hello: Some Glock 40 brass is worse than some others. I just tried to reload some here that was really bad I found out. I loaded up 10 rounds and decided to run them through my Case Pro. What a difference. I normally just use a EGW "U" die or the stock Dillon. This brass did not work with either of those dies very well. All I can say is try to reload it and see what happens. The STI will have a much tighter chamber and you will have to see how it goes. Thanks, Eric

If you don' t have access to a roll sizer, then buy a Lee standard sizing die for .40/10mm. It does not have the same taper that the Dillon unit does. It will go down and resize the bulge whereas the Dillon sizer won't all the time. For ease of use, you should also use dillon case lube. It makes things so much easier on you and the machine. Try it for yourself.

Good luck,

DougC

I agree! I've been using range pickup brass for over a year in my SV doing that, never case gauged. The only ones that haven't gone into battery are the ones that I forget to crimp. I just use the standard dillion dies for every other station (in a a 550).

If you don' t have access to a roll sizer, then buy a Lee standard sizing die for .40/10mm. It does not have the same taper that the Dillon unit does. It will go down and resize the bulge whereas the Dillon sizer won't all the time.

Lee U die in station one works great in either my 550 or 650, works best in 40. Be sure to lube cases, makes the whole process easier on the brass, dies, press and the operator.

Had to lock the U die from the bottom on my 650, I would but a set of one inch nuts from Dillon as the Lee nuts are a little weak.

What should those of us using a SDB do with glockified brass?

I run my through a standard Lee 40/10 sizing die in a single stage press. One extra step - but the presized deprimed brass runs fast through the SDB.

Been doing it for years. My solution is a EGW u-die on the front end, and a Lee Factory Crimp Die in the last station. Not a problem since.

I use the same combination as Mark on my Dillon 550, and it has resulted in 99+% of the problem cases working fine in my STIs. Those that don't work generally have a rim problem. I actually had some case head separations early on with Glocked brass and a 200 gr major load with Clays powder. Not a recommended combination, and that was before the change to the EGW/Lee die combination that I now use.

I had thought about getting a Redding GRX die and modifiying the post to send cases through head first, but trying to do any volume of cases on a single stage press either mouth first or head first makes me cringe. I may still try that for really problematic cases, but it would never be high volume for me. I could see sorting through the culled rounds during the winter months.

All I've been feeding my .40 STI Limited guns over the years is 1x fired brass from our PD range, 99% or more from Glocks and a small amount from MP5's. been using an EGW U-die on station 1 and the standard Dillon crimp die first on a 550 then my new 650. No problems at all after about 20k rounds or so.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a case pro a few years back boy did I like it---quit using it, now I use lee undersize die in first station, dillon dies in the rest--sold the case pro,boy did I like getting my money back--pick up my own brass when I shoot..no problems..

• 2 weeks later...

For those that think its no big deal to shoot 40 without either roll sizing or ud. I had about a 6 thousand dollar doctor bill, two mangled fingers, and a chest wound to prove you wrong.

Edited by ipscjoe

For those that think its no big deal to shoot 40 without either roll sizing or ud. I had about a 6 thousand dollar doctor bill, two mangled fingers, and a chest wound to prove you wrong.

I feel like that post requires more information...what exactly happened there?

A bulged round got stuck in a shooters sti just short of chambering. I was ro'ing and he asked me to help him clear the gun. In trying to force the gun open the round went off essentially out of battery into my left hand. I also ended up with a quarter inch piece in my chest which I was able to remove weeks later because the wound wouldn't heal because of the infection I got from the nickle case.

I cringe when I hear that guys blow off chamber/barrell checking 40 rounds and using other people's trash they leave on the ground.

Some may get away with it but its sure not safe IMO.

Edited by ipscjoe