Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger MkIII Problem

ede

Three weeks ago ran 700-800 rounds with no problems. Wife took it to a Steel match last week and right from the start it wouldn't go off. Took it home and cleaned it and looked it over, didn't see anything. Yesterday ran three mags through it, first two ran fine, third mag had 2-3 rounds not fire. It's a MkIII with TacSol top end. I'd guess 20,000 rounds on frame and bolt and 10,000 on the top end. Thanks in advance.

I used to have a similar if not the same problem with my Ruger and I swab out the chamber and brush off the extractor ~4-500 rounds and detail clean every ~2-2.5K.

A Volquartsen firing pin (striker?) cured that quick, fast and in a hurry. Strikes are much more consistent and as long as the ammo is good and the gun and the chamber are reasonably clean, I have no failures to fire with Federal bulk and CCI mini-mags.

there's no LCI on the TacSol top end, bottom end is stock Ruger. I'll buy a couple or 3 of the firing pins and run them in all 3 of my Rugers. That seems like a logical fix and something I had thought about but was posting here more in hopes of finding something that I never thought of.

Check the disconnector for wear, especially on the top edge. I've had issues with it getting "hammered" by the bolt during recoil and causing it to develop a grove which grows in width over time until the gun won't fire anymore or won't fire on the first shot, but will work on subsequent shots.