Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Molot VEPR-12 or Akdal MKA 1919

Zebraman

I am looking into getting a new open class shotgun and have decided to get one that is magazine fed. So the question is: Molot Vepr-12 or Akdal MKA 1919? I realize that people on this form will suggest the Firebird custom 1919 or the R&R modified Saiga, but as a base gun to make modifications to, which would you pick?

Thank you for your help,

Z

There is pretty much no info regarding the Molot available. I have read that it is used for IPSC SG across the big lake, but the info on the gun itself and mods done to it are hard to find.

The 1919 gives the option of buying FB or tinkering yourself. Read all the threads on here about the 1919, there are plenty.

And don't worry, Alaska will be in to tell you to buy the R&R soon! :)

I don't have the Molot but I do have a new, modified Saiga 12, 19" and a FireBird Akdal 1919.... Some things to think about:.. The Vepr 12 is similar/family to the Saiga 12 in many ways, 12,16,20 round mags are availibile. Excellent comps are avalible, IE: I just put the $100 Molot comp on my Saiga 12. The problems of the Saiga and mods are well known. You can pretty well do all the neccessary mods to the Saiga/Vepr yourself...(The Molot is "in" the family). The Saga.com site has a seperate Vepr forum...check it out.

The Akdal is newer, not many "smiths" on the bandwagon and even they are finding problems and solutions to problems for the platform to be used in competition (note that "Tromax" has suspendend taking orders for his Akdal). The largest mag is "only" 10 rounds (more to come I'm sure). Some problems with the Akdal have been resolved?, "light hammer hits", mag springs, gouging the upper receiver, extractor tention, plastic feed ramp, etc.

COST.... over $2,600 in the Firebird Akdal (without the new aluminum feed ramp).... about $1000 in the Sagia.

Sooner or later, the Akdal may be the mag fed shotgun for competition?????....

Edited by mike NM

Thanks for the info. Since I am in the PRK (People's Republic of Kalifornia) all we can legally have are 10 round mags. I am bending toward the Molot, but am wondering about the major part, unavailabiltiy issue (this could be a non-issue).

Used to be a Saiga guy. Like them. Like my FB Akdal more. Sure there are some issues but the ergos I better for me. Mag changes quicker and its just personal preference. Considering how long the MKA has been around compared how long it took to get the S12 family this far says something. 15 round mags are close I hear. My Akdal is getting ready to go back for the ramp upgrade but with Gen 2 mags it runs AA shells better than my S12 did. Dont have any of the new import mags. Yet. My season is done so Im waiting a few months to see what else develops. I wont badmouth the S12 family but for me the Akdal has much more room for improvement just as the AR does over the AK platform.