Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Refinishing and sights?

lumpygravy

Search fu must be weak today - sorry. All I found was how to touch up sights with a BC Universal Touch Up pen.

When sending a pistol out for refinishing i.e. chrome, ionbond, etc...., what is the usual treatment for the sights? Are they re-blued or coated (if the pistol was to be chromed) and who would do that piece?

I'm guessing it may vary by provider, but is there a general rule for doing the iron sights?

What do the popular shops like APW and Metaloy do?

OK - maybe I should rephrase the question:

What is the usual finish for iron sights if a gun is to be chromed or coated (something other than black)?

Are they usually blued? Has anyone ever CeraKoted/IonBonded their iron sights?

The reason I ask is that the CeraKote on a gun is showing some wear and I'd like to get it cleaned up and refinished. In addition to blueing, I'm considering hard chrome, another Cerakote (from a better provider) or an IonBond. Once done, this gun will probably be stored in the safe and shot infrequently.

Its your gun so you are OK to do whatever color you want. As long as its a dark color, they should work just fine.

On revolvers where the front sight cannot be removed, I'm sure there are some chromed ones out there.

So far, I can only recall one semi-auto that did not have black/blued sights. That one gun was a 1911 with with a staked on front sight. The chromer decided not to remove it before finishing it.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

They must come off for Ionbond coatings.

What a co-inky-dink. I was considering your shop for the CeraKote or Ionbond !

I was sure that the sights would have to be removed regardless of finish, but would you recommend coating the sights instead of bluing?

So far, I'm coming to the conclusion that while a coating may be harder, I can easily touch up bluing but not the coating.