Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL 650 loading .38 specials

Couple questions, before I finalize my decision on the next press.

My primary caliber is .38 special for my revolver. I prefer titegroup and the trigger job prefers Federal Small Pistol primers, and it likes them seated firmly.

Does titegroup meter worth a flip in this system (XL 650)?

Does the powder check system work OK on such a small charge, and will static cause the powder to stick and draw back out of the case on the checker?

annnd, will the primer seater get those Federals into the pocket firmly enough to keep my loads at 100% like it is with the hand priming?

Anyone else using this system for loading .38 race ammo?

Thanks!!!

The 650 does not have any sort of adjustment to set primer depth, though some people tell me it can be shimmed on the bottom so it protrudes up a little more when inserting primer.

I usually give it a hard push on the upstroke and " double tap " it, ( push - come back an inch - push again ) .

My 650 has loaded many 10s of thousands of 38 special "race" loads for my PPC/Bianchi race gun.

I have never had a problem with "high" primers. If you do your part and follow thru with upstroke.

My 686 is a 5-1/2 pound pull...if you have one of the skelitonized hammers and a lighter pull your milage may vary.

My powder of choice (for my 38 load) is HP38 or W231 and powder checker has never been a problem. I uses Tite group for some other loads I do and have never had any trouble with it either.

I only use federal primers for this load.

I can comfortably load 800 rounds an hour if primer tubes are loaded in advance.

hth

Fred

Couple questions, before I finalize my decision on the next press.

My primary caliber is .38 special for my revolver. I prefer titegroup and the trigger job prefers Federal Small Pistol primers, and it likes them seated firmly.

Does titegroup meter worth a flip in this system (XL 650)?

Does the powder check system work OK on such a small charge, and will static cause the powder to stick and draw back out of the case on the checker?

annnd, will the primer seater get those Federals into the pocket firmly enough to keep my loads at 100% like it is with the hand priming?

Anyone else using this system for loading .38 race ammo?

Thanks!!!

Get the 650 with the case feeder you will wonder how you lived with out it.

I use Federal primers too and have no problems as long as I do my part. It's easy to get lazy on the primer seating, but the press will push them all the way home. This is the main reason I sold my LNL and bought a 650, the Dillon just works.

Never used Titegroup because of the heat and I shoot mainly lead bullets and it smokes like a freight train. I use Clays in .38spl. Going to try WST since I use it in practically everything else. Solo 1000 is another one that works good .38 , but Clays and WST will load every caliber I shoot so I stick with them.

Never used Titegroup because of the heat and I shoot mainly lead bullets and it smokes like a freight train. I use Clays in .38spl. Going to try WST since I use it in practically everything else. Solo 1000 is another one that works good .38 , but Clays and WST will load every caliber I shoot so I stick with them.

Yea, I use plated bullets, I hear they won't create as much smoke in front of titegroup. I just found a set up I liked a few years ago and bought a ton of titegroup, still have like 5 lbs of it left.

I have loaded thousands of .45 ACP on my 650 using Titegroup. I measure the powder every time I reload primers (100 rounds) and there's not a tenth of a grain difference over a run of a thousand rounds. I can't speak to the powder check - I look found that in good light, looking down into the hole works.