Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gas tube length question

czambesi

I bought a spikes AR that a local store built. Works great, no ftf, etc. Only issue is the rail system. It rotated on me at a match and since I was running flip up irons, my sights were off. Looking to put a mag pul MOE handguard, rifle length. The current gas block looks around 10 inchs from upper, is this rifle lenth or mid length? Since it has a low profile gas block on it the MOE handguard should fit right over it correct? Any recommendations for front sight tower with a rail top? Going to put a dot sight and have the flip ups for back up.

Thanks for any and all input.

Chris

If you want to mount the moe you will need a delta ring hanguard setup eg. The spring and ring at the receiver and an end plate at the gas block like here.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Projects/DD%20Rail/IMG_4404%201028%20WEVO%20Stick.jpg

The YHM uses a proprietary barrel nut which will HAVE to be changed for most if not all other handguards. Do you really want a MOE or are you just wanting a smooth handguard?

Just so I know I'm on the same page with you, the rail didn't just flex, the entire rail spun where the top no longer lined up with the upper correct? I just ask because I have a Yankee Hill and while I've not had mine too long, everyone else I know with them we've never had that issue that I know of. I'm wondering if the barrel nut was torqued correctly or if the anti rotation screws were set properly.

Can you measure the length of the rail and from the gas block to the upper receiver? We should be able to help you figure out which gas system you have if you can get those.

Edited by mwin323

I can’t see any way a properly installed YHM forearm could rotate loose. There are two set screws, plus the lock ring, to secure it to the barrel nut.

Unless the barrel nut came loose as well?

If that’s the case, you have bigger problems than a just a loose forearm.

Jeff

If you want to mount the moe you will need a delta ring hanguard setup eg. The spring and ring at the receiver and an end plate at the gas block like here.

http://stickman.rain... WEVO Stick.jpg

The YHM uses a proprietary barrel nut which will HAVE to be changed for most if not all other handguards. Do you really want a MOE or are you just wanting a smooth handguard?

Yes, i was wanting to put the smooth MOE hand guard on it for a utility rifle. I have been using it to get me into 3 gun but will be upgrading to a Stag 3G to compete with.

Thank you for the information!

Just so I know I'm on the same page with you, the rail didn't just flex, the entire rail spun where the top no longer lined up with the upper correct? I just ask because I have a Yankee Hill and while I've not had mine too long, everyone else I know with them we've never had that issue that I know of. I'm wondering if the barrel nut was torqued correctly or if the anti rotation screws were set properly.

Can you measure the length of the rail and from the gas block to the upper receiver? We should be able to help you figure out which gas system you have if you can get those.

Yes it spun and from the looks the anti rotation screws may not of been installed or it may not of been torqued correctly. (I do not see set screws in the slots they should be in.) It happen to me in a match with I turned it in the heat of action during the 1st stage I shot.

The tube that connects to the gas block looks to be 8.5 inches from upper receiver

Thank you for the assistance

I can’t see any way a properly installed YHM forearm could rotate loose. There are two set screws, plus the lock ring, to secure it to the barrel nut.

Unless the barrel nut came loose as well?

If that’s the case, you have bigger problems than a just a loose forearm.

Jeff

The whole forearm turns but the gas tube does not move.

Yes it spun and from the looks the anti rotation screws may not of been installed or it may not of been torqued correctly. (I do not see set screws in the slots they should be in.) It happen to me in a match with I turned it in the heat of action during the 1st stage I shot.

The tube that connects to the gas block looks to be 8.5 inches from upper receiver

Thank you for the assistance

8.5 is right in between carbine and mid length gas systems, so it sounds like mid length but I can't be sure based on 8.5... Really though, if I were in your shoes I would take the rifle back where I bought it and have them put anti rotation screws in and make sure the barrel nut is torqued to spec. If the shop is worth their salt they should just take care of you since it sounds like maybe they didn't install it correctly to begin with. Then I would try your setup again at the range to give it a fair chance. That's going to be the cheapest for you and you keep your barrel free floated for accuracy. They should be able to tell you for sure which length your gas system is too.

Mwin - I bought it at a gun show, non-local store. Havent seen them at any of the stores this year though.

It is more me wanting to switch to that foregrip on this firearm than switching because there was a issue at last match, YHM makes great equipment and I will be keeping this around to put on a different AR. I did email YHM about getting the missing set screws for the foregrip.

Thanks for the help,

Chris

Mwin - I bought it at a gun show, non-local store. Havent seen them at any of the stores this year though.

It is more me wanting to switch to that foregrip on this firearm than switching because there was a issue at last match, YHM makes great equipment and I will be keeping this around to put on a different AR. I did email YHM about getting the missing set screws for the foregrip.

Thanks for the help,

Chris

That makes sense. Just didn't know the full situation but it sounds like you've got it figured out...

Mike

Check the barrel nut torque. Should be between 20 and 70 pounds, if I remember correctly. I had the same problem because the gunsmith lined up the gas tube, but under torqued the nut. I have a yankee hill full length hand guard on a carbine, but I'd prefer the JP smooth handguard over the cheese grater.