Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just ordered a 50bmg

mattwaage

Morning everyone!

Ordered myself a AR-50 the day after the election :goof:

Now I am having a tough time deciding on optics, more of the problems is I dont know what I want or what to look for.

Lets start by saying the Obvious, It needs to be able to handle 50 recoil and muzzleblast/brake without issue.

I would like the highest power magnification available. This means I would prefer a 30-40 power ovariable on the top end. I want enough travel in the elevation knob to go from 500 yards to ??? 2-3k yards (we have a giant powerline cut across the top of a mountain darn near) but to be practical lets say 500-2000 yards.

Things I were looking at, Nightforce 8-32 and 12-42. Or any others? I just like to be able to see the target closer.

But I dont know if those have enough elevation travel to go out as far as I want.

Advice?

Also on a retice... I dont know if a SFP or FFP would suit my needs better. what are your thoughts? I would like a reticle with easy rangefinding abilities. I am not MOA or MIL fluent but whatever way I go I will learn it. I may want a FFP so I dont have to mess around with finding the exact power to range targets with a SFP. But I still want a nice crisp reticle at full power magnification. This is only a single shot rifle and precision is paramount to any sort of "Tactical" features. I will be using this to punch paper and unknown distances most likely in conjuction with a rangefinder and ballistic program but I still would like easy rangefinding in the reticle and other marks to gauge size, distance, wind, etc But It would be nice if I wanted to play tactical to be able to engage unkown distance targets fairly reliably without the laser rangefinder and software.

My scope budget is "Buy once cry once" but for practical purposes I would like to stay below $2500 though if its a must have can spring for more.

As far as the chassis I am thinking of getting an XLR chassis with their bipod for it so that it can have a folding stock to make it a little more easily portable and storable, It will have a tough time fitting in my safe without disassembly. Anyone have any experience with these? I am wondering how the XLR chassis does mounting the action solid for accuracy. the buttstock does not have a monopod option though and the ar-style handguard makes scope mounting slightly higher.

http://www.xlrindust...lution-BMG.html

Any thoughts or experience with this in a 50bmg?

Any other advice is always appreciated

Thanks

-Matt

Edited by mattwaage

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to the 50 world. I run a nightforce 5.5-22x56 with the NPR2 reticle on mine. My base is around 40-42Moa for slant, so with my knob dialed all the way down, I am zeroed at 100 yards on the top mark on my reticle, this is about 3 clicks from the absolute edge of my scope adjustment. I am almost on at 1000 at the center of the crosshairs and about 1800 on the bottom of the reticle without ever touching the dial, if I keep it on 5.5 power. I actually do lot of my shooting on the lower power, mostly at plates painted white, but the scope is so clear, I dont feel that im lacking and usually heat is a major issue in the summer. I rarely use above 12 power unless its very cool, then I will run in the 15-18 range. Get set up for reloading as ammo for the 50 isnt as cheap as it used to be. Lee is fine.

Edited by Smokecloud

I know a few local guys that use XLR stocks and they seem very happy. I have shot a few rounds through them and they are very comfortable. If I didnt have a small fortune invested in AI rifles, I would look very hard at their stocks.

The NF 12-42 is pretty much the standard for 50 shooters in the winners circle. After NF you have March and S&B which are bigger bucks.

• 4 weeks later...

50 is BIG fun! If you're not already there, try Tom Bowers' board http://www.biggerhammer.net/barrett/wwwboard/ for answers to just about everything.

My McBros 50 and most items I had on Form 4's became disposable diapers, fluffy towels, draperies and all sorts of other useless crap when the wife/kid thing happened. Besides, I could only shoot it in the winter here in western MT when there was no danger of starting a zillion-acre wildfire. Still wish I had it back!

Mark

Do yourself a favor and shoot it first as issued. It's only a couple of bolts to take the butt stock off, not a big deal and you get the same portability as with the folder. That thousand bucks will go a long way toward setting up to reload. I had excellent results with Hornady's setup. I used IMI brass, H 50 BMG. powder and Hornady Amax 750 gr. bullets . That load was half minute out to 500 yards , the longest distance I have on my property. Unfortunatly in NW Indiana there aren't any 1000 yd or longer ranges within reasonable distance so it went down the road . You should check out the Fifty Cal Shooter's Association. They were there from the start and are a great info source. Have fun with it.

• 1 month later...

With optics most people have issues moving beyond 20X magnification unless the weapon is pretty much anchored to a solid bench. Theres a lot of wobble in there and it can be distracting to a shooter especially one new to the .50 shooting at long distance.

Best you can buy optic wise is S&B but they are pretty damm expensive. Next would be Nightforce...the 5.5-22XNXS with the 50mm should be just fine.

• 3 weeks later...

WelI have to put in my .02 worth. I,ve had 5 different 50's.a McMillan , 2nd McMillan with magazine. Barret82a1 and a Hesse single THAT I STILL HAVE and shoot. I have the Hesse for 15 years and shot often except my Club just said no more 50's ...?.I've used Bushnell 3200, than switched to a leupold M4 I like it a lot. I reload my own ammo

By the way I load once fired brass with 237gr WC860 using a 694 gr military These bullets are +\- 3gr. CCI primers. I also have some nickel cases I picked up along the way. I have loaded as low as 190gr of WC860.

• 2 weeks later...