Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me I need to slow down!

Zmego

How does one develop a 'rhythm' while also letting the sights dictate the shots? What if the sights just arent there when the rhythm dictates a shot? I feel like its a 'rhythm' that gets me into trouble sometimes.

Yes rythem is definitely not it.. :)

I very new to competition shooting and handgun shooting in general. I am not a great pistol shot but I can squeak by from stage to stage. I have many weaknesses but lately I feel as though I am rushing EVERYTHING. It is starting to cost me big time, and worse it is starting to frustrate me and get into my head. Any tips from the veterans that can help me stay cool and take my time to ensure each shot?

My two cents, coming this March i'll be starting my 3rd year shooting USPSA. That makes me fairly new to the sport but I have been around pistols most my life. Before USPSA I never shot fast, just as accurately as I could. I developed a confidence that I could hit the target. Soon after starting USPSA shooting I lost sight of my shooting skills, I got caught up in the speed that I was seeing coming from the veterans and especially the Open Class shooters. I tried to mimick the faster shooters and started shooting beyond my ability (that is controling my shots). That got me a lot of C's, D's and Mikes.They told me my timing was off, I had no clue what that meant.

I realized after about a year of shooting I needed to get serious about practice. First I found a very confident Master Class Shooter and hired him to give me lessons. From there I took what I learned from him and what I have seen and read from others and started practicing every chance I could. So far the biggest thing I have learned is you must practice something your skills are lacking in and gain the confidence that you can do what you have practiced.

The biggest help for me I think was getting a timer to practice with. The timer is your friend and it will tell you alot about your ability. Your draw, your splits (on shots) and time it takes to aquire and hit your next targets. To name a few. I realized (for my skill level) that two shots fired in one second was my max while still getting my hits. When you have a timer and you can see this, it gives you a confidence that you know you can make two good shots in one second.

The next thing that was big in helping me was gaining the confidence that I could hit the targets at diffent yards 10, 15, 25, and 50. With a timer you will know what you are capable of and what speeds (or splits) between shots fired at them. That will slow you down! You will know that you can fire 2 rounds in one second at the 10 yards, but if you want to hit the 25 yard you may have to slow it down to 2 second between shots fired. This will give you the confidence to not rush.

To sum it up, know what you are capable of through practice and this will give you the confidence to achive it on game day. I'm learning, this confidence Im talking about has just recently dawned on me that if I put the sights on the steel and pull the trigger it will go down! Don't wait to see that it does, move on.

Hope this makes some since to you.

When all else fails, execute the fundamentals.

(what are the fundamentals?)

Hold the gun pointed at the target until the bullet has left the barrel.

be

+100, and that is what often neglected.

Under pressure, it's the fundamental activity that deteriorates first.

Followthrough....!!!