Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 for pistol

I know alot of the serious guys shoot a dedicated 9mm S_I or custom gun of the sort for 3Gun but I'm a poor fella that sold 4guns to pay for my FGW custom 40 and was wondering if it really is that much of a handi cap in 3Gun to shoot 40 over 9? I really would not have that much use for a dedicated 9mm custom built gun other than 3 gun and $2800 + is alot for a pistol that wouldn't be used for anything else.

First, not a real big disadvantage but mag capacity and cost are the disadvantages. However, I second NSiess suggestion if you want to stay with a S_I platform. That's one of the best ways to go unless you want a plastic striker-fired pistol that can be used for Production or SSP/ESP and 3G.

Actually, I like the fact that you can get a striker-fired pistol for less than a dedicated 9mm upper and for the option that you don't have to worry about an external safety(on most models). If that safety gets bumped as you abandon it or if you forget, your match is over.

I know alot of the serious guys shoot a dedicated 9mm S_I or custom gun of the sort for 3Gun but I'm a poor fella that sold 4guns to pay for my FGW custom 40 and was wondering if it really is that much of a handi cap in 3Gun to shoot 40 over 9? I really would not have that much use for a dedicated 9mm custom built gun other than 3 gun and $2800 + is alot for a pistol that wouldn't be used for anything else.

No not really. I shoot a 40 edge in tac optics. I have 2 mags from HSmith that hold 21 reloadable and the rest of mine hold 20. Thats not far down (1 or 2) from my 9mm mags for my steelmaster (140mm mags). You can also reload the 40 very soft and shoot lead to cut back on cost. I have been shooting through a bunch of lead bullets Eventually I want a dedicated 9mm tac optics pistol but for now its just not make sense for me financially. With the 40 I can shoot limited limited 10, steel challenge and three gun very competatively. Its 95% the shooter anyway.

Pat

As stated mag capacity and recoil are the reasons why 9 rules. Downloading the 40 round is a viable option to make it similar, as long as it runs the gun 100% no worries there. The capacity may force you to reload when other guys don't, depends on the COF. I'd run it as is and re-evaluate after a few matches.

When you get to the point that you lose a 3 gun match because of one extra pistol mag change then you have something to worry about. Most are lost in plenty of others ways compounded!