Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open glock and "flat" shooting

cpa5oh

The other day I shot a 2011 open gun with a frame mounted c-more - seemed to me that, even though the ammo was major, the red dot hardly moved. I know nothing about open guns and what causes an open gun to shoot flat or not. Muzzle weight is a big factor with iron sight guns...people tell me the comp on an open gun is the big factor.

Is the red dot on the open glocks you guys are shooting staying on target in between shots? Seems to me that if one shooter is shooting a gun that shoots real flat and the other isn't, the latter guy would be at a real big disadvantage.

Well, first you have to understand that without gas and pressure, a comp won't work as effectively. It really boils down to the recipe, and training with the rounds and guns. Once you have the right stuff and enough time behind the trigger, things fall into place. My open glock has a fair amount of weight to it for a polymer gun, but I don't think that helps me with my recoil control as much as my recipe does. That, and 15k rounds down the pipe and countless hours of dry fire practice is what makes all the difference for me.

Thank you for that reply. Sounds like the answer is yes, a Glock can shoot flat to where the red dot pretty much stays on target through recoil and whether you actually achieve that comes down to the compensator and the loads used (I assume that if I bought an Open Glock from Carver Customs that he'd have a suggestion for a load.)

I had always figured that a Glock was going to be too light to shoot as flat as a 2011...when I started to hear from people what I took to mean that it has alot more to do with the compensator, that led to me wanting to ask an Open Glock shooter directly whether they could get their dot to stay on target. So I guess maybe accuracy and the trigger would be the only other two possibilities for why an Open Glock might not be quite as capable as an Open 2011.

The major issue with an open glock is the mags. You only have so much room front to back in the mags, so oal is limited with that platform more so than with a 2011. Since you can't load long, then you will most likely have to use less powder to achieve the same fps. Less powder means less gas and less gas means that your comp isn't going to work as efficiently.

It can be done, and there are those that do get open glocks to run flat, or at least flat as compared to their non-open glocks, but if you watch even KC's open glock, there is more bounce there than on most 2011 platform guns.

Sorry but I have shot both. Glocks don't come close to 2011's as far a dot tracking. By the time you buy a Carver aren't you pretty close to a stock trubore?

Is it the weight of the 2011 that makes the dot not move (as much?) Or is it that the compensators for the Glocks aren't as good as the ones available for the 2011's? Or loads aren't available for the Glock because of the required shorter OAL? Or something else?

Refer to post #5. A 2011 has longer mags and therefore u can load longer, hotter rounds which push more gas through the comp making it counter recoil more effectively

I would say this along with weight are the big deals. I have run into many an open shooter who still did not grasp the concept of more gas means less movement. Even 2011 shooters who run at 169 PF immediately notice the difference when I hand them a mag of 174 PF ammo that I use. More gas is what makes the comp work. When you limit the amount of powder, or types of powder you can use, it limits what the comp can do.

This same principle applies to 38 super vs 9MAJOR arguments as well. While a 9 can be just as flat as a super it is much more of a trick to pull it off due to the amounts and types of powder that can fit in a 9.

As for weight. Glocks are just so light that when a 9MAJOR gets touched off it can feel like a stick of TNT going off in your hand if not done right.