Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2013 3GN Points Matches?

I am planning on shooting LOTS of 3 Gun Nation semipro points matches next year (2013). Anyone know if it will be the same list as this year (2012)? With several of the early season matches opening soon, it would kinda be nice to know. I dont really want to pay an entry fee and get off from work for 6-8 matches just to find out that half of them arent in the points series of 2013.

-Nick

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, they are not being very proactive about the 2013-2014 season yet. If they wait til after the Championship at SHOT, that will be the first of Feb and they will be way behind the curve. Hopefully, now that things are settled and its just wait til SHOT, they will get caught up on publishing things for 2013.

I was talking to Rob earlier this week. Sounds like the format may change a little and hopefully they add some more regional/state matches like the Area 3/Missouri state championship and the Arkansas section championship so that more shooters get involved in the semi pro deal.

Did he give you an idea of when that will be posted? Like I said, with SMM3G opening later this month, Surefire open, and RM3G opening in December and the list goes on, it would be nice to know.

Not sure how I feel about Area/State matches being included also...it seems like it would be harder to get points at a National level event, and if that is all you go to, you might be competing for points with some guys who just happen to have 3 area matches close to them. Point being, not as many big names at area matches so easier points, and I find it hard to justify time off work and $1000 in travel to go shoot an area match. I think I might actually be mad if say I had 250 points from shooting National matches, and some dude that shot 3 area matches beat me out with 251 points.

No word on a when. I like the idea of regional matches. They all draw 1-5 top 20 guys so it would be pretty darn close. Their goal is to grow the sport. I see that as a good way to grow. Maybe just the junior, ladies and amateur stuff goes regional. Who knows? Unfortunately there never is a good way to make everyone happy.

Jesse, you are such a "good" hint dropper. :roflol:

I got some info from Rob too, just sent him an e-mail with this thread linked, so there may be a more official response later.

IMHO, for those of us who shot 3Gun before 3GN, it looks like the Outlaw matches will be going back to more of a "shoot your favorite matches" kind of thing with less influence from 3GN. While 3GN has drastically increased the participation and exposure of 3Gun in general, next year looks pretty different to me. Down the road several years, I see three different types of 3Gun matches. 3GN Pro Series, Big Outlaw matches, Regional/USPSA matches. I suspect some of the Outlaw matches will dwindle in size or may even cease to exist. I also think that the regional/USPSA matches will grow in numbers. The top tier is definately controlled by sponsor/media coverage/3GN, however that expsoure then falls to local MDs and Outlaw MDs to capitalize upon by providing a product that appeals to the new and novice 3 gunners coming into the sport. Iron-Man, Blue Ridge and RM3G, IMHO are not "beginner" matches, whereas some of the other "Major Outlaw" matches would be fine for beginners.

I talk to new/novice 3Gunners gearing up almost every day. Most are asking where they can go shoot a "bigger match than a local" but not a Major Outlaw match. The TV exposure to the "Pros" is pretty daunting to most of them, but they still want to try it. I am learning that a lot of the "local" matches are kind of abberant renditions of a particular club MDs pursuations and don't accurately test, skill build, for bigger matches.

I got some info from Rob too, just sent him an e-mail with this thread linked, so there may be a more official response later.

IMHO, for those of us who shot 3Gun before 3GN, it looks like the Outlaw matches will be going back to more of a "shoot your favorite matches" kind of thing with less influence from 3GN. While 3GN has drastically increased the participation and exposure of 3Gun in general, next year looks pretty different to me. Down the road several years, I see three different types of 3Gun matches. 3GN Pro Series, Big Outlaw matches, Regional/USPSA matches. I suspect some of the Outlaw matches will dwindle in size or may even cease to exist. I also think that the regional/USPSA matches will grow in numbers. The top tier is definately controlled by sponsor/media coverage/3GN, however that expsoure then falls to local MDs and Outlaw MDs to capitalize upon by providing a product that appeals to the new and novice 3 gunners coming into the sport. Iron-Man, Blue Ridge and RM3G, IMHO are not "beginner" matches, whereas some of the other "Major Outlaw" matches would be fine for beginners.

I talk to new/novice 3Gunners gearing up almost every day. Most are asking where they can go shoot a "bigger match than a local" but not a Major Outlaw match. The TV exposure to the "Pros" is pretty daunting to most of them, but they still want to try it. I am learning that a lot of the "local" matches are kind of abberant renditions of a particular club MDs pursuations and don't accurately test, skill build, for bigger matches.

I agree with you Mark, the problem will be bridging the gap from outlaw matches and pro matches....but it still remains, semi pro shooters need to know about next year and soon.

I agree with you Mark, the problem will be bridging the gap from outlaw matches and pro matches....but it still remains, semi pro shooters need to know about next year and soon.

Heck i'd like to know about the pro series soon too. It's all dependent on the almighty $.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Heck is like to know about the pro series soon too. It's all dependent on the almighty $.

The difference is, you guys on the pro series can get into a match that is full....I cant wait till last minute, have to rush to the mailbox as soon as the registration opens. :)

The difference is, you guys on the pro series can get into a match that is full....I cant wait till last minute, have to rush to the mailbox as soon as the registration opens. :)

I don't think that will be an issue in 2013.

I don't think that will be an issue in 2013.

Why do you say that? The Obama Affect?

Bacause the Pros won't have to shoot ANY hosted matches, only the 3GN Pro-Series matches. That means the Pros will shoot the 3GN matches and a few of their favorites/cheaper/fit into their schedule matches. I'd bet that we see about half of the "Pros" at majors as compared to the number that enter each of them this year. The one noteable exception will likely be Superstition. That opens slots, but it may also cost some matches sponsorship donations. Of course the lower number of Pros at majors is just speculation on my part.

That is not the case. Unless a sponsor ponies up $1500+ in product for a sponsor spot. The only match that gave us an early chance to enter was the FNH match.

Bacause the Pros won't have to shoot ANY hosted matches, only the 3GN Pro-Series matches. That means the Pros will shoot the 3GN matches and a few of their favorites/cheaper/fit into their schedule matches. I'd bet that we see about half of the "Pros" at majors as compared to the number that enter each of them this year. The one noteable exception will likely be Superstition. That opens slots, but it may also cost some matches sponsorship donations. Of course the lower number of Pros at majors is just speculation on my part.

I would agree completely!

I emailed Pete a few questions the other day regarding some Semi Pro rules. He told me that we would be looking at the 2013 Semi Pro rules within the next 7 days. That was 2 days ago. He didn't say if that would include the schedule also. I feel pretty certain that if it doesn't, then the schedule will not be far behind. I have a feeling that they will not wait very long. They know we need the schedule since the matches are opening up for registration.

I emailed Pete a few questions the other day regarding some Semi Pro rules. He told me that we would be looking at the 2013 Semi Pro rules within the next 7 days. That was 2 days ago. He didn't say if that would include the schedule also. I feel pretty certain that if it doesn't, then the schedule will not be far behind. I have a feeling that they will not wait very long. They know we need the schedule since the matches are opening up for registration.

I wonder if theyre going go change it to Tac Optics only, since I dont think any of the top finishers this year actually competed in TO?

I wonder if theyre going go change it to Tac Optics only, since I dont think any of the top finishers this year actually competed in TO?

That was one of the questions I asked him. Some of the Top 25 did shoot all TO, but many did not. I'm happy for everybody that made it and I wish them the best of luck in the open match. Congrats also to the top 4 who get to have a shoot off.

One of my teammates and I discussed doing some division hopping next year if it is still allowed. We decided we are going to stick with TO only (which is what we did this year) because if you make the Pro tour you will have to shoot TO only anyway. So, we decided that if we can't make the top 25 by shooting TO only in the Semi Pro, then how in the hell could we compete with the Pro's? We might make it to the open match, but only to have our ass kicked from there on.

That was one of the questions I asked him. Some of the Top 25 did shoot all TO, but many did not. I'm happy for everybody that made it and I wish them the best of luck in the open match. Congrats also to the top 4 who get to have a shoot off.

One of my teammates and I discussed doing some division hopping next year if it is still allowed. We decided we are going to stick with TO only (which is what we did this year) because if you make the Pro tour you will have to shoot TO only anyway. So, we decided that if we can't make the top 25 by shooting TO only in the Semi Pro, then how in the hell could we compete with the Pro's? We might make it to the open match, but only to have our ass kicked from there on.

I agree, this is why I stuck with TO.

Im sorry but You're thinking is completely incorrect. If you're best chance at going pro is to shoot with a side by side shotgun high point pistol and a Ruger 10/21, DO IT!!!

I can tell you that being in the pro series opens a lot of doors in the sponsor world. Getting my a$$ kicked on National TV by Keith Garcia, Kalani Laker and Rustin Bernskoetter has been wonderful financially despite the smack talk and abuse I have to listen to daily via text message. There are a lot of rumors about the show going to an hour long format next year as well which means even more opportunity for you to be on TV wearing your sponsors logos in front of millions of viewers.

Think about it. As a sponsor would you rather have your logo on a semi pro shirt being viewed by 150-300 shooters at 4-5 matches a year or would you rather see that semi pro making his way onto TV? No matter how you finish in the pro series, no publicity is bad publicity. I know everyone can think of several shooters with gobs of sponsors that you might say why does he or she have all those sponsors when I beat them at the match last weekend. Its because that shooter is getting him or herself out in front of shooters who are potential customers better than you are. I know how I would spend my sponsorship money!

I know we all wish there were certain things we could change about 3 Gun Nation. But like the show or not they are making the sport more visible to the world. They are also brining more prizes and money into the sport which means all of us benefit. Do whatever it takes to get yourself involved in 3 Gun Nation.

Why do you think I have zero finishes in TO in the Divisional series? At this point I'm not going to beat Horner. So I stuck myself in HO and won. I got my ugly mug on the cover of 3GN multiple times, I get to carry around a big ass $5,000 check at SHOT show and on the plane ride home, my sponsors got to brag that their shooter was winning. It benefitted me and my sponsors way more than almost any finishes I could have had in TO.

I'm not sure why I have away my strategy at being a pro shooter. I guess I just firmly believe in what 3 Gun Nation is bringing to the table and want everyone to get involved.

http://www.3gunnation.com/news/2013-2014_3gn_pro_series_tour_set#.UJwBihsiKZM.facebook

Hopefully the above link will work. It's the 2013 Pro Series schedule.

That only shows the 5 pro pro events

I know it's just the Pro's, but at least 3GN is working on getting the 2013 info out. Pro info first, then Semi Pro. Semi Pro stuff should be out by the end of next week.

As far as the Pro's go, that is the complete list of Pro events. I don't think there will be regular matches that the Pro's have to attend like they did this year (TX, FB, ProAm etc). Of course, I could always be way wrong. :unsure: