Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Center of Mass open race holster

wanttolearn

I'm hoping to try my hand at open. the sti trubor should arrive shortly and i'll need a holster for it. i've been reading a bit and all the talk about pistols falling to ground is making me a bit wary of the hot competition set ups. is this a reasonable concern? what is your experience with the COM open race holster? also what is the best value out there for a belt. thanks

I'm shooting Limited not Open, but I do have a couple of Rick's COM Race Holsters.

IMG_0336.jpg

I like them a lot. Very sturdy and secure. The offset is created by a block of delrin and you can set the holster up for different cants and height. Here's a side view: IMG_0095.jpg

I think lead time is about 6-8 weeks to get your order. Generally best to give Rick a call at COM. Great guy, and he's also a competitor.

As far as belts, the belt shown in the pics is one of COM's as well. I also own CR Speed belts, and I like Rick's better. They are made from multipe layers of scuba webbing and is very stiff.

Happy hunting!

For value+performance.....it'd be hard to make a case against the DAA Racer. I use a Manny Bragg USA for a Glock and switched to that from a Racemaster. Most of the time when I've heard of or seen people lose their guns from their holster its mostly because they forgot to engage the lock when they were finished.

I would go either the racer(if you never plan on using it for another gun) or the racemaster(has interchangeable blocks for different guns). That holster is extremely secure. I was a little concerned about the race holster at first till I looked at the racemaster. If I have any start other than a stand and draw start, ie sitting in chair, laying on "bed" etc I flip the lock on and disengage it with the middle finger on the draw as its right there. When the holster is locked, the gun is NOT coming outand is more secure than Kydex. When unlocked, it has to come pretty much straight out from the holster.

What made you consider COM. Is that the holster maker your familiar with? I don't know much about them, I did not consider them when I purchased for my open gun. I bought the DAA RaceMaster. I love mine but its the only thing I use. Been shooting LIM, L10 and open with that holster and like it. What I like is the adjustment capabilities but Manny's does and Ghost does. Does COM have this adjustment, I don't know. The website comholsters.com doesn't even show an open holster. If you want to support a shooter and small business, COM looks like the way. If you want an engineered piece of race equipment, look at the others. but really I could be happy with anything if I chose it, so you chose on.

+1 for the racer holster

In our game speed and retention are equal

If your rig is fast but not secure, you're ether bagging it or Velcro it, every stage

Or you're going to drop it

If it's secure but not fast, you're going to wear your arm out trying to get your draw speed up

I've never seen a com holster, but there is 30 years of technology and innovation

In race holster design, looking at the pictures above, it reminds me of rigs we used 20-25 years ago

Try to find pictures of holsters made by the masters back then, Rodgers, Gordon Davis, Ernie Hill

& safariland and you'll see similar designs made out of dead animal skins.

The racer or race master is a excellent blend of speed and security, even with it unlocked, the only way the gun is coming out

Is straight up, and with the frame specific locking block the gun when holstered has a solid, locked in feel to it

No rocking back n forth etc. like some of the other race holsters out there