Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Secuing the fiber optic rod?

jnshapiro

I just ordered one of the new HiViz ones for my CZ. They enclose the fiber in a plastic body which is supposed to make them really hard to damage, but the drawback is that you can't change the fiber even if you want to. I'll have to find out how well they work.

Here is a picture:

CZ75.jpg

Vlad

Thanks folks. I'll melt the end and use some super glue. This one is from EGW and only one end protrudes.

After I melted the end, I heard back from EGW. They use crazy glue on the center post to secure them. No melting. I'll do that when I replace it.

Joel

if the melting thing plus super glue works, i suggest to forego the non melting thing. I have seen fiber optics break in the middle of a stage in some of the shooters guns.

Me when it turns dark it gets removed. The problem is its difficult to remove. But then again it means its really secure.

around 50t rounds in all my pistols past and present with fiber optic sights and till now, i have yet to break one. (did break a bo mar though- dropped the pistol accidentally with the bomar acting like a shock absorber)

Remember a thread similar to this. Consenses was to use a "Torch Type Lighter". Some people were having problems with the f/o breaking after they reinstalled one. Theory seemed to be that a "longer melt" time, i.e. match or regular lighter, weakend the f/o down from the melt by extending the melt time. The super glue senerio was consistent.

I have had Dawson's on 3 guns for a year and my wife or I have not broke a f/o yet. (now it will happen) I clean my with Alcohol Swabs after each shooting & sometimes darken the front with a Sharpie if the sun is too bright. Good & Safe Shooting - JC - :)