Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optic Suggestions?

BobS761

This is for my dad. He is 77, a beginner, and competes entirely for fun and family time. My goal is to make USPSA matches more enjoyable and less intimidating for him, without breaking the bank, as I'm also supporting 2 sons as well as myself. I know it will put him in open, but we have 16 round mags and I don't think he cares.

Any help is appreciated!

Bob

I don't know how your dads vision is but it has been my expirience the older gentelmen love the big bright fiber optics. Dawson is what I have on both of mine but is a smaller fiber. HiViz seems to gave some rather large and pretty bright sights. I haven't seen anything but good reviews about them. Congrats on your dad getting into it I would say these are probably my favorite new shooters. I'm a pretty young guy and only been shooting about a year but run into these older guys shooting and they are a joy to shoot with. They are just out there to have fun don't have an ego about them and are willing to help with anything they can and will take advice without the attitude seen mostly with my generation.

I would definitely try the big fiber optic dot first if your father's near vision is good enough. Adding a good quality red dot to the slide or mount on your XD could get pricey.

This is for my dad. He is 77, a beginner, and competes entirely for fun and family time. My goal is to make USPSA matches more enjoyable and less intimidating for him, without breaking the bank, as I'm also supporting 2 sons as well as myself. I know it will put him in open, but we have 16 round mags and I don't think he cares.

Any help is appreciated!

Bob

It really depends on what your dad's vision impairment is. If he has astigmatism (very common), bright sights can actually make matters worse. I'm in my 60's and have astigmatism, and with bright, hi viz, fiber or night sights, I actually see two front sights. I can get by much better with stock sights than any of the hi vis offerings. The only thing that I have found that works for me, at any time of the day, is a red dot. Expensive...yes, but at least I only see one dot. :roflol:

I think I'll get him to try someone's FO sights first. Dad is a long gun shooter and just starting, as well as the rest of my family, to shoot pistols. Really don't know if it's vision, or just new to semi-auto handguns. Even though he is 77, he is not feeble of body in the least. But like anything, I want him to have fun, and not feel embarrassed by results.

Thanks for the replies!

B