Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unusual Nook Rooting Problem

Dave Ray

I'm hoping someone has run into this before or at least has a decent idea where to start.

I've purchased a total of 10 nooks, 9 of them were rooted using the Nook Simple Touch Rooting instructions without issue. The 10th is driving me nuts. The process completes without any errors, but when I try to run adbWireless I get an error that says "Ops! Sorry, but the kernel does not have all necessary features for running this application, you need rooted phone"

I did all 10 of these at the same time, using the same SD card for the rooting. I've wiped and retried the problem child several times with the same result. The problem device is the same model number (BNRV300) and software version (1.1.0) as the others, it just won't root properly.

Any ideas would be appreciated,

Dave Ray

Try the following..... This is from the Nook Rooting procedure.

If you don’t get an Android screen to appear after reboot, then the root process failed. In my case I had one that failed because I removed the SD card too early. To fix it, I went into the Nook settings, and performed a reset/deregistration. The system then unregistered and went back to original settings, but the version remained at 1.1.0…no need to re-version the NST. Re-registering and then repeating the root process came back successful.

Thanks, but I had already tried that. Several times.

The device actually boots to the android launcher and the Button Savior loads. I can launch applications and other than the fact that I can't get SuperUser access it appears to work normally.

I wonder if you downgraded the actual Nook OS to 1.0.1 if it would blow out the Rooting? If so you could downgrade it to 1.0.1 then back up to 1.1.0 and reRoot the Nook to see if that takes properly. This is all a guess assuming that the Nook would allow you to actually downgrade it.

We're having a match on December 16th, I can wait until then. Thanks

Perhaps consider giving these instructions a try?

--jc

Ah! You put the rooting card image out there, very good! Any particular requirement as to microsd card class? Will an average class(4) do, or do you need something faster? Also do you need a separate blank microsd card for normal running afterward?

--jc

Ah! You put the rooting card image out there, very good! Any particular requirement as to microsd card class? Will an average class(4) do, or do you need something faster? Also do you need a separate blank microsd card for normal running afterward?

Any class card will work. The only time there's really a requirement for a card of a specific class is when you're trying to do something with sustained data rates, like snapping a bunch of a high-res pictures. You can use a class 4 card in a class 10 device, and vice versa. The class 4 device just won't transfer data any faster, and a class 10 device will be slowed down to the throughput of the card.

I don't leave an SD card in any of our NSTs. One more expense, one more thing to lose. I need to update the one section about how to copy the file via USB to an NST that doesn't have an SD card. But today has been a little busy :(

--jc

Any class card will work. The only time there's really a requirement for a card of a specific class is when you're trying to do something with sustained data rates, like snapping a bunch of a high-res pictures. You can use a class 4 card in a class 10 device, and vice versa. The class 4 device just won't transfer data any faster, and a class 10 device will be slowed down to the throughput of the card.

I don't leave an SD card in any of our NSTs. One more expense, one more thing to lose. I need to update the one section about how to copy the file via USB to an NST that doesn't have an SD card. But today has been a little busy :(

I'm also going to go through and document how to create the microsd card from the .img file on OS X, if you'd care to add it to that section.

Yes, by all means, I'll be happy to. I should include a Linux 'How to make an SD card', also.

I didn't have any luck with this in OS X this time, and I've done this before. I was getting authorization errors, even when I was logged on as an administrator. There are also mac "solutions" you can google where the first thing they tell you is "open up a terminal", and that's not a solution. So I just went ahead and created my copy of the rooting card with the proffered windows utility.

So what's the storage size on a NST without a microsd card installed? How many decent-sized matches (for us around here, 70-100 competitors x 6-7 stages) will one hold before it starts degrading in performance or even chokes?

Edited by wgnoyes

So what's the storage size on a NST without a microsd card installed? How many decent-sized (for us around here, 70-100 competitors x 6-7 stages) will one hold before it starts degrading in performance or even chokes?

You're not going to see that happen. The match files stored in the NST's flash memory are very small. Even a large match is small, since it stores them in a zip-like format. The NST's have 2GB of internal flash, and at least a full gig is free (remember, it's e-reader, so it's got to be able to store those downloaded books, and an SD card isn't mandatory).

Performance is going to be based on available RAM. The NSTs have 256MB of RAM, but I can't tell you exactly how much is free. Practiscore does keep the match in memory, but again, I don't know what the metrics for how memory is used. I think it's reasonably intelligent about it's memory usage (as intelligent as Java can be, at any rate), and even with all the competitors and stages loaded for GA State 2012, we didn't see anything that felt like a slow-down.

The biggest "threat" with the Android version appears to be having multiple copies of Practiscore loaded. If you're running Practiscore, hit the 'n' button to go to the home screen, and then touch the Practiscore icon again, it appears to have multiple copies running. This is based on discovering that hitting the back key asks you if you'd really like to exit Practiscore, replying 'Yes', and still having Practiscore up.

I've been on them about this for some time, but it continues to be a persistent problem, even in 1.0.12.

--jc

Edited by jcwren

So what's the storage size on a NST without a microsd card installed? How many decent-sized (for us around here, 70-100 competitors x 6-7 stages) will one hold before it starts degrading in performance or even chokes?

You're not going to see that happen. The match files stored in the NST's flash memory are very small. Even a large match is small, since it stores them in a zip-like format. The NST's have 2GB of internal flash, and at least a full gig is free (remember, it's e-reader, so it's got to be able to store those downloaded books, and an SD card isn't mandatory).

Performance is going to be based on available RAM. The NSTs have 256MB of RAM, but I can't tell you exactly how much is free. Practiscore does keep the match in memory, but again, I don't know what the metrics for how memory is used. I think it's reasonably intelligent about it's memory usage (as intelligent as Java can be, at any rate), and even with all the competitors and stages loaded for GA State 2012, we didn't see anything that felt like a slow-down.

The biggest "threat" with the Android version appears to be having multiple copies of Practiscore loaded. If you're running Practiscore, hit the 'n' button to go to the home screen, and then touch the Practiscore icon again, it appears to have multiple copies running. This is based on discovering that hitting the back key asks you if you'd really like to exit Practiscore, replying 'Yes', and still having Practiscore up.

I've been on them about this for some time, but it continues to be a persistent problem, even in 1.0.12.

--jc

They're bigger than I thought!

What's the downside of multiple copies in core? What happens?

--jc

They're bigger than I thought!

What's the downside of multiple copies in core? What happens?

I believe it's been responsible for the slow-down we have seen, since after killing off the extra copies, response time picks back up to what I expect. The extra copies running don't *appear* to pose any data integrity threat that I can tell. I also don't know enough about Android internals to know what it does in a low-memory condition. It may be getting slow because multiple copies are linked into some sort of event chain, and each copy is looking at some event, adding to the time it takes the application to respond. Or maybe Android is throwing away some processes and then immediately being forced to reload them.

It's an interesting enough problem that I'll have to go read up on how Android handles some of it's internals.

If you have 3 or 4 copies running at once they start having problems with remembering the data and showing it between copies along with the slowdowns that were mentioned. Closing the extra copies takes care of it all however.

Brian