Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

15yard zero question

rooster

I noticed the topic about zeroing limited guns at 15 yards. I was wondering if you do that does that mean that everything beyond 15 yards, hits would be low and, anything shorter than 15 yds. would be high. If this is true how much? How do you zero a gun properly? I just shoot about 15 or 20 rnds at the desired distance offhand and then throw out the fliers. And if the group is mostly off from where my sights were I then adjust and do it over. I was wondering if anybody had a better way. I don't like to rest it because that is not how you actually shoot. I like the 15 yard idea because my ailling eyes have difficulty seeing at 20 or 25 yds, but where would you hold for a 25 or 30 yd. shot?

The nice thing about the A zone is that it is tall. If you hold in the center of the a zone you will get A's for a large variety of distances. An inch or two is about as much as it varies over a pretty big range of distances so I tend to shade more than aim differently because you aren't that precise when you are moving around and you can vary an inch or two just by your movement. I hope this make sense.

I was wondering if you do that does that mean that everything beyond 15 yards, hits would be low and, anything shorter than 15 yds. would be high. If this is true how much?

No matter were you zero your gun always shoot it at diffrent distances and observe the point of impact. This will give you and idea were to hold. This becomes important when your dealing with partials (no shoots & hardcover).

I was wondering if you do that does that mean that everything beyond 15 yards, hits would be low and, anything shorter than 15 yds. would be high.

Actually, given the typical sight set up (over the bore axis) and ballistics of the loads used in practical pistol, a fifteen yd zero will give you slightly low hits under that distance, slightly high hits beyond that distance out to the second zero point at about 50 yds, and then lower afterwards. The flatter the trajectory (generally higher velocity), the lower the variation from zero over this range.

Practically speaking, the advice above seems pretty good to me: zero your gun at what ever range works for you, and then check your POI change from POA at various ranges and see if it means much, given the targets we shoot.