Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Die alignment

I am having a problem with the cases aligning on the sizing guide, and the powder die. They do not want to go up into the die correctly and in the case of the sizing die partly come back out of the plate. This does not happen on every case the other two dies function correctly. I was using lee dies but have now switched to Dillion dies but has not helped. has anybody had this problem or can anyone give me a helping hand in fixing this problem.

What press are you using? How stable is your press mount/bench? How are you adjusting the dies?

It sounds like you possibly have some wobble/instability issues if the brass is wiggling out of the first station. When you tighten the dies and lock rings, do you do so with the press full of brass and in the dies? (Platform up or toolhead down depending on your press)

It will be much easier to troubleshoot with answers to the above.

Jonathan gave the best advice i.e. tighten the dies with cases in the dies. Are you sure you have the right number pins for the caliber you are loading. The only time I have trouble with the funnel is when I forget to put the brass pin back in the plate.dry.gif

With a Dillon sizer you should have NO PROBLEM with cases aligning. If it's a 550 is your paperclip adjusted properly, not too loose and not too tight? If it's a 650 is the brass being pushed all the way into the plate and not pulling back any?

Is your shell plate tight enough. If it has a lot of slop in it that can be as bad as a wobbly bench.

Let us know which press and what caliber in order to get more help.