Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Refinishing

mm187

My Para-Ord, yes its just a Para, P-16 has been with me for only about 2 months. I bought the blued model and the finish is already worn and rusting.

Does anyone know a place where i can get the gun refinished with a more sturdy and durable finish?

I've looked at places like Wilson Combat and their "Armor-Tuff" coating as well as Robar with their NP3 nickel coating. But I'd like to know if other outfits can refinish the gun with something equal in quality to "Armor-Tuff" for less money.

I don't have any personal experience with finishes other than blue (nice color, no significant wear resistance/rust protection) and chrome (very nice), but what I have read is that most finishes have a tradeoff between durability, especially important given what we put our guns through in our sports (tens of thousands of shots, hundreds of draws, all sorts of weather, every year for years), and rust protection, the exception being chrome and maybe nickel.

A very nice synthetic finish with great looks and rust protection may end up costing you more than a good chrome job, if it needs to be redone in a couple years.

my .02

Guest Larry Cazes

I'd suggest you stay away from Armor Tuff from Wilson. In any app where the gun sees alot of handling, it is anything but tuff.

All my competition guns have been hard chromed by Virgil Tripp

Great service and fast turn around. He's also got a polymer coating that I don't know much about, but if you call or email, you'll probably get a lot of info out of him. I'm a happy customer.

For re-blueing, my gunsmith Alan Tillman [ ArtEnt(AT)austin.rr.com ] does a really nice dark blue finish.

My husband has a BlackT finish on one of his carry guns that's worked well also.

Penny