Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems with new m&p

Pitt Bull

I just purchased a V-Tac 9mm M&P. I love how the gun shoots. But during an IDPA match last night I had a problem during the reload at slide lock. I know that if you put the magazine in firmly the slide will fall forward. When I seated the magazine the slide would fall forward but not strip the first round out of the fresh magazine. This happend during the reload in all 4 stages I shot. Between stages I went to the range next door and tried to duplicate the malfuntion. It would strip the first catridge. When I would shoot the next stage it would malfunction again. Anyone know why the slide would fall and not strip a new round?

I have 2 M&P Pro's and if I seat the magazine firmly enough, it will drop the slide and strip a round on both of them. I have a friend who is having the same issue that you are having. He was told by Smith that is not a feature but a result in some pistols of slamming the magazine in. I would try setting the magazine without slamming it and then see if it will strip a round when dropping the slide. You could also try a few different magazines like he did. Some magazines would work and others not. Keep in mind that this is not a feature but an oddity. I think it has to do with the timing of when & how the magazine is seated and how hard it is pushed in. I have to slam mine home for it to drop the slide. You can also contact Dan Burwell at Burwell gunsmithing to get his opinion.

The only time ive had this issue is while using high cap mags that are down loaded to 10 rounds. With the extra slack in the mag spring due to down loading, i think the stack of rounds bounces and causes this.

Its annoying so for idpa i just use my cali 10 rd mags. In uspsa i almost never go to slide lock so its not a problem.

There is a happy medium that works where u can seat the mag hard but not so hard that the rounds bounce.

The same thing that causes the slide to release, when "slamming" a magazine home, also can cause a round to fail to chamber. It's called inertia! This is neither an oddity or a feature, as many semi autos will do this.

When the mag is slammed in, with enough force, inertia can/will force the slide release to drop, and depending on the spring in the mag, could force the rounds down in the mag, causing the top round to fail to strip.

The only problem is the slide falls sometimes when I just firmly seat it. I believe you guys are right in the problem being the malfuntion only occurs when the magazine has 10 rounds in it. I will go to the range and do some testing. Thanks for all the help

The only problem is the slide falls sometimes when I just firmly seat it.

DO you hold the muzzle up or down when inserting mags? I was trying to type on an Iphone earlier and couldn't really explain what is/was happening. When the magwell is hit firmly enough, inertia allows the slide to move rearward just enough to allow the slide release to fall out of the slot. This will also happen much easier, if the muzzle is pointed up when the weapon is hit or the mag is seated. BTW, you don't even need a mag in the gun to test this. Remove the mag, make sure the gun is clear, and strike the bottom of the magwell. On many guns, this is enough, to allow the slide to move back just enough to drop the release, especially if the muzzle is pointed up.

A lot of factors could be at play here....Weaker spring, heavier slide, muzzle pointed up etc, etc. Some guns will do it very easily. I have a new HK P30 and the slide will fall on it almost every time my wife loads a new mag, but I have to really try hard to make it fall. Limp wrist? Who knows...

Edited by PingJockey

I have noticed that also on my full size M&P's also. I have narrowed it down to level of the gun. If it is straight up and down then it will always strip a round from the mag, but if the gun is tilted to one side (as in tilting it to the right so that you can see the mag well as you load the mag)it will fail to strip a round off about 25% of the time when slamming a mag in.

However with my 5" pro it will always strip a round off even if the gun is tilted. That might be because I have a 13lb spring on my pro.

The only problem is the slide falls sometimes when I just firmly seat it.

DO you hold the muzzle up or down when inserting mags? I was trying to type on an Iphone earlier and couldn't really explain what is/was happening. When the magwell is hit firmly enough, inertia allows the slide to move rearward just enough to allow the slide release to fall out of the slot. This will also happen much easier, if the muzzle is pointed up when the weapon is hit or the mag is seated. BTW, you don't even need a mag in the gun to test this. Remove the mag, make sure the gun is clear, and strike the bottom of the magwell. On many guns, this is enough, to allow the slide to move back just enough to drop the release, especially if the muzzle is pointed up.

A lot of factors could be at play here....Weaker spring, heavier slide, muzzle pointed up etc, etc. Some guns will do it very easily. I have a new HK P30 and the slide will fall on it almost every time my wife loads a new mag, but I have to really try hard to make it fall. Limp wrist? Who knows...

You never want to have the muzzle pointed up. You want it pointed at a target, or the berm. :unsure:

I have the same issue. During a match I will slam a mag home and about half the time it chambers a round and the other half it won't. I haven't noticed a pattern yet. It's really annoying if you're in a stage that requires all the rounds in a mag and you eject a live round because you rack the slide just in case and eject a live round.

I have also found it has a lot to do with the angle with regard to the muzzle that the gun is being held when performing a reload. In my experience the muzzle is slightly up with the grip to slide angle at about 20-30 degrees. I personally have never had to apply what i feel is "too much" force behind my reloads for my M&P Pro to auto forward, at the above angle it auto forwards every time and takes a round with it.