Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oh boy a good debate. Let me clear the air. Fredericksburg Practical Shooters does not have anything to do with the Summer Blast. The Fraternal Order of Police rents the range from Fredericksburg Rod and Gun Club. We ask for help from all shooters not just Area 8 or locals. This year we had 3 RO's who did the Nationals last year. I spoke to several others in my travels this year and hope to have more for the 2005 Summer Blast.

Now for my input. Bill at MPS has lost 2 other venues to host his local club. We can not and should not ask him to host a major championship in just their third year at Thurmont. They are hosting the Virginia/Maryland sectional there. Please attned the match and provide positive comments to both Bill and the host club. Positive feed back breeds positive results. Thurmont in time, in my opinion will be able to host the Nationals....don't tell Bill, I don't want to get his heart rate up. Keep in mind just my opinion.

Now here is a thought. I could approach Bill about moving the Summer Blast to Thurmont. That would not require any work on his part and provide yet another opportunity for Thurmont Sportsman to be exposed to a major match.

This in turn would open up Fredericksburg for the Area 8 to host. Provide me some feed back and we will try to make it happen.

Larry

Its about time you joined us pilgrim :P . Glad to see you onboard Larry and sorry I missed the match this year...the MGM was a hoot.

Oh boy a good debate.

This was not meant to be a debate....just an exchange of thoughts between shooters and MD's. Its hard to get any news from the headshop.

I travel to a lot of major matches and its my oppinion that the 80/20 rule applies.

20% of the qualified RO's perform 80% of the RO duties at major matches at least here in Area 5, 6, 7, and 8. Almost sounds like a golden opportunity for someone to put a travelling group of RO's together and contract services! Same with stats...there are some great stats people who have the numbers crunched at the end of every day. Its frustrating to have to wait more than a day for numbers considering the IT world we live in.

There have been some good ideas brought to the table. Hoping to here more so keep em rollin....

• 1 month later...

personally i don't care where its held i'll be there.after all this time not shooting one i can't wait to hit the road agaln and travel to a major match.meet new people and try the local places to eat.used to love the miller and mountainer classic.

these are more events than just a match.the preparation.planning,practice and the excitement of a major match is part of what this sport is all about and its all good.

• 5 weeks later...

That is unfortunate, but there will probably be more than the usual number of match conflicts this year. With the Nationals in July (?) and the World Shoot in August, most other matches will be scrambling for the remaining available dates in the summer.

What really hurts is that there is still no firm date for the 2005 Nationals - other than it will probably be sometime in July. Given that degree of certainty, I doubt that anyone wants to schedule their big match for July and risk a conflict with the Nationals. So, that will probably push even more major matches to be scheduled in June and early August.

The schedule for the USPSA Nationals must be determined earlier than it is now. Having the Nationals dates nailed down a year in advance is really necessary for match Directors to plan their major matches - and for shooters to plan their vacations. I have complained about this before, and have had Area Directors tell me they strongly agree, but scheduling the Nationals is the responsibility of Mike Voigt.

Mike ...... are you listening?

Sterling,

Hopefully there will not be another Polish Falcon convention in town this year eating up all of the hotel rooms. There is a small but brand new Holiday Inn Express less than 5 miles from the range in Mount Pleasant. The best bet would be to stay in the New Stanton area(less than 10 miles from the range and right off of the PA Turnpike). If all of those hotels fill up early, then within 20 miles you have other options.

Doug