Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

velocity/bullet impact

lppd4

I have a remington 700 in .260 remington if I sight my rifle to shoot 1.5" high at 100 yards and I switch to ammunition with a higher velocity where can I expect my bullet impact to be? High? Low? same? thanks for your input

Edited by lppd4

It is really impossible to say. If the rifle shot the higher velocity similar to what you are shooting now then I would expect it to be higher. Problem is I have fired different manufacturers factory loads using the same grain bullet and impact was completely different.

You have to shoot the new load to see for sure.

Now if you give us velocities out of your rifle and what caliber and bullet you are shooting, we can tell you your theoretical drops out for a long ways.

Now if you give us velocities out of your rifle and what caliber and bullet you are shooting, we can tell you your theoretical drops out for a long ways.

Thanks for the info I was just wondering if there was a general rule to follow. I always sight my rifle with the ammo to be used and am familiar with the theoretical holdovers for my load

no hard and fast rule but if it is a higher velocity you would expect an elevated point of impact (POI) problem is that isn't always the case when changing components.

if you use all the same components such as powder, brass, primers,bullets and overall length and only increase your charge weight like in a ladder test it should have an impact higher but like JCH said not always is the case.but if you change any of the components to something else then its all out the door

I just tried 5 different powders in my 7mm-08. They were nosler accubond 160 grain, all loaded the exact same except powder type and charge.

I averaged velocitys from 2600 down to 2300 depending on powder. One had the exact same POI at 100 yards that my 139 grain SST's did. Some were as far off POI as 3" at 100 yards, some grouped sub moa, some grouped terribly.

Matter of the fact is, when you switch any component, anything can happen. An increase in pressure does not mean its simply going to print higher. Until you shoot it and see, who knows.

I just tried 5 different powders in my 7mm-08. They were nosler accubond 160 grain, all loaded the exact same except powder type and charge.

I averaged velocitys from 2600 down to 2300 depending on powder. One had the exact same POI at 100 yards that my 139 grain SST's did. Some were as far off POI as 3" at 100 yards, some grouped sub moa, some grouped terribly.

Matter of the fact is, when you switch any component, anything can happen. An increase in pressure does not mean its simply going to print higher. Until you shoot it and see, who knows.

Can you tell me which powder your gun grouped the best with. Thanks

The general theory is that a faster bullet transits the barrel faster, and that the gun has not recoiled as much at the point the bullet exits - thereby lowering the point of impact.

A big variable, however, is the barrel vibration. Changes in the barrel vibration can affect the direction the barrel is actually pointing and cause differences.

Guy