Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM 5.25 slide stop problem

Ross Carter

I have a XDM 5.25 9mm I bought from a forum member some time ago, great pistol, and finally took it to a match. I had only fired a magazine thru it previously and that was it. As usual problems always show up at a match plus the fact I haven't shot in ages. I figured out that the slide stop was engaging locking the slide back prematurely, somehow I was accidentally engaging it. On the last stage I was very careful to change my grip and kept it from locking back.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? If so how did you solve it and remain production legal? I have large thumbs and knuckles so it takes too radical of a change in my grip for that to be a practical answer. I could de activate it but that's not a good move for production.

To answer what seems to be your question,....need more information.

It sounds like you are saying that when you are shooting the slide locks back part of the way through the mag. Is that correct? Some of your wording is a bit unclear as to the intent of the question so I am asking. In a way you are asking several different questions.

If the gun is clean, the only way that could happen is either a mag problem, ammo problem, or a grip problem. 1) Are your mags numbered or can you identify if it is always happening on the same mag? 2) Are you shooting factory, uber stout +P type or powder puff rounds? 3) Using a "bad grip" or a grip that is pushing *up* on the slide stop?

I have large hands and shot an XD for almost two years in matches and a friends XDM once, and if you use a "high thumbs/thumbs forward" grip you will actually push down on the slide stop and prevent it from locking back on the last round.

Sorry for the unclear rambling. Not a magazine problem. From what I can see it's a problem with the first joint of my thumb putting upward pressure on the slide stop. I read where some people have problems riding the slide stop keeping it from working but I'm doing the oposite. Is there a heavier slide stop spring available? Or some other design of slide stop itself. I could build a little ledge under the slide stop but I suppose that wouldn't be production legal.

Edited by Ross Carter

Like you stated, I have the opposite problem with mine, I tend to ride my thumb on the slide release and keep it from locking the slide back on an empty mag... I am really working on just keeping my thumb off of it so I dont interfere with its opperation. From what I know there is no mod that would keep it production legal, just need to work on your grip so your not riding the release. My $.02

I had the same problem with my 5.25 limited gun. I took the slide stop off as there is no rule that you have to have one. Ran perfect after that. I don't know if production is the same, but Springer Precision makes a smaller one that may help. Don't know if it's legal or not.

Had the same problem with the 4.5. Mine was locking back prematurely like yours. I eventually trained myself to keep my strong hand thumb off of it.

I hear the springer replacement helps but like others don't know if it's production legal.

I had the same problem with my 5.25 limited gun. I took the slide stop off as there is no rule that you have to have one. Ran perfect after that. I don't know if production is the same, but Springer Precision makes a smaller one that may help. Don't know if it's legal or not.

Had the same problem with the 4.5. Mine was locking back prematurely like yours. I eventually trained myself to keep my strong hand thumb off of it.

I hear the springer replacement helps but like others don't know if it's production legal.

Springer Precision Slide Stop

As per the web site:

Springer Precision Slide Stop

The Springer Precision slide stop was design to position the slide release lever so that it does not interfere with your shooting grip and will engage the slide when the magazine is empty. This is made from high strength stainless steel it is design withstand the rigors of heavy use. It is available for all XD and XDM models. It is great for gun games such as IDPA where you are require to shoot to slide lock and for those use a thumbs forward grip. The XD 45 model is the same as the XDm 9/40.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

:D

Thanks for all the replies. That Springer part looks great but I suppose it's not production legal.

Studied it a little more today and noticed the slide stop starts to engage with very little upward movement. May see if I can take a little off it so it locks up later but will still allow the magazine to lock it back. If all else fails I can use Marv Z's solution and just remove it.

I have shot the same XDM 5.25 in 9mm and have been battling with the slide stop issue as well. During production competition my slide does not lock back and this at times cost me valuable seconds. I really need to count rounds to targets correctly. Im right handed. What I have done is rest my right thumb over my left thumb so it does not tuch the slide or slide lock. This seems to work for me and I have gorilla hands. It's just a matter of adjusting your thumb positioning off the slide and slide lock a little. Hope this helps good luck!