Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stick to your routine!

TwoShot

I learned a valuable lesson at a match last Saturday. We held a benefit match to assist an area family with expenses for their severely ill child. The match followed USPSA rules, but was not a sanctioned match. There were many people there new to practical pistol so the stages were 12-18 rounds and close targets. I shoot Open division, so I thought "great, no reloads." I didn't follow my regular routine at "make ready" of loading the chamber and then inserting a full mag into the gun. First stage the start position was with the gun in a briefcase. Buzzer goes off, retrieve the gun, I forgot to turn the dot on! In a later 18 round stage, I turned on the dot and put a downloaded big stick in my gun and holstered. At the buzzer I drew, got my sight picture and pressed the trigger. Something wasn't right, the hammer was down, no shot. I racked the slide and finished the stage. Later in the match I figured out that I had inserted the mag, did not load the chamber and holster a gun with a loaded mag, empty chamber and the safety was off. The RO nor anyone on the squad caught it at the time, only later did we figure out what happened. At that time, I said, if that is a DQ, them I am DQed. In the future no mater what the round count, no mater what the match, I'll stick to my routine.

I learned a valuable lesson at a match last Saturday. We held a benefit match to assist an area family with expenses for their severely ill child. The match followed USPSA rules, but was not a sanctioned match. There were many people there new to practical pistol so the stages were 12-18 rounds and close targets. I shoot Open division, so I thought "great, no reloads." I didn't follow my regular routine at "make ready" of loading the chamber and then inserting a full mag into the gun. First stage the start position was with the gun in a briefcase. Buzzer goes off, retrieve the gun, I forgot to turn the dot on! In a later 18 round stage, I turned on the dot and put a downloaded big stick in my gun and holstered. At the buzzer I drew, got my sight picture and pressed the trigger. Something wasn't right, the hammer was down, no shot. I racked the slide and finished the stage. Later in the match I figured out that I had inserted the mag, did not load the chamber and holster a gun with a loaded mag, empty chamber and the safety was off. The RO nor anyone on the squad caught it at the time, only later did we figure out what happened. At that time, I said, if that is a DQ, them I am DQed. In the future no mater what the round count, no mater what the match, I'll stick to my routine.

I have a duct tape note on my range box that reminds me to load, turn the dot on and adjust my bianchi mover base. Under match conditions, at one time or another I have forgotten to do all three.

• 4 weeks later...

We had a stage that you started with two in the mag and did a reload four more rounds

Had three strings of this style, So I loaded up three mags with two rounds each.

Yup you guessed it second run I grabbed one of the two round mags for the reload.

Never mix up your mags

I'd never laugh when anyone checks their chamber twice. I have noticed that all of the guys that have the same routine all of the time at LAMR, ALWAYS beat me. So I have begun to emulate some teh the better shooters' routines. It ain't making me shoot better, but it is helping me concetrate which has resulted in less mental errors, so I guess it is halping me to get better results. who'da thunk it.

I have been down that road myself. I will never again let an outside influence bother at LAMR.

Mildot

X2. No matter if the shoot is a club match, or if the stage / squad is running behind I never change my routine.

I have seen AD's because of changes, Holstered and not safe, dropped guns etc because of 'falling off the bike' so to speak.

LAMR 'Routine' is anything but routine. It is your last chance for an equipment check and the last chance to clear your mind in order to focus on the stage at hand.