Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chrome BCG

WhiteRubi

Okay, so I picked up my new AR today and it is SWEET. My issue is that I paid for a Young MFG chrome BCG. I kinda get the feeling that this isn't a Young. It's certainly chrome but only markings are a "R" on top of the carrier. Maachining doesn't look like pics I've seen of the YOung either. Also, the gas key is staked. Sooo...who made it? Should I swap it for a Young? I mean for the money, I want what I paid for.

Edited by WhiteRubi

Also, the gas key is staked. Sooo...who made it? Should I swap it for a Young? I mean for the money, I want what I paid for.

I may be confused, but last time I checked, the gas key being staked is pretty darn important. AFAIK Young's BCGs are typically properly staked.

Also, the gas key is staked. Sooo...who made it? Should I swap it for a Young? I mean for the money, I want what I paid for.

I may be confused, but last time I checked, the gas key being staked is pretty darn important. AFAIK Young's BCGs are typically properly staked.

Nope, from the factory Young BCG's will not be staked. Many dealers stake them before they send them out, but not alll.

Nope, from the factory Young BCG's will not be staked. Many dealers stake them before they send them out, but not alll.

Well I just read Young's statement on why they don't stake and I still don't understand why they don't do it. They basically said that nobody seals the key correctly, but still no good reason for them to not stake it. They even cite that the Mil Spec is to stake them, and what staking tool to use if you do decide to stake it, yet they still don't do it. Oh, and your warranty on your gas key is void if it is staked, no matter who staked it.

Mine is not staked either. I know, everyone says that they MUST be staked. I like to try things out for myself and I thought it would be a nice experiment to see what would happen if I left it unstaked. It is a comp gun after all. Worst case, I don't finish a stage. No issues so far at around 3000 rounds.

All the staking does, is in the event one of the screws snaps, it keeps the broken off head in place. Which means you may never know it.

I'm not taking my race guns into combat (or any of them for that matter). I'd rather it jam and get it over with, than short stroke and drive me crazy trying to figure out why for who knows how long, because one of my gas key screws broke, but I have no way of knowing it because it's staked in. :blink:

• 3 months later...

All the staking does, is in the event one of the screws snaps, it keeps the broken off head in place. Which means you may never know it.

I'm not taking my race guns into combat (or any of them for that matter). I'd rather it jam and get it over with, than short stroke and drive me crazy trying to figure out why for who knows how long, because one of my gas key screws broke, but I have no way of knowing it because it's staked in. blink.gif

Not exactly. Staking keeps the screws from backing out. I have never seen a screw head break but I have seen screws back out on bolt carriers that were not staked properly. Saw a friend of mine run a stage having to rack the gun each time because his carrier key came loose. Staking is critical if you don't its only a matter of time and rounds down range before it fails.

Pat