Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adding ports in a barrel

enutees

I shot my friends new open gun. He has 3 ports in it and it shoots a good bit flatter than mine. Even with the same loads the muzzle just barely moved on his. Our guns are similar heavy weights.

Is it a big task to have porting added? Or is it simple for a good smith?

Any idea on costs etc? I'm shooting a Limcat Phantera 38 supercomp that is hardchromed if that helps.

Thanks

There are different ways to drills the ports but for a good gunsmith it should be no problem. Cost will just depend on the gunsmith. You might want to consider call the builder of your gun he might know what size ports work best for his guns. I would think $75-$150 as a rough estimate. There are a couple of gunsmiths on the board that you might want to contact as well.

So riddle me this. My new open gun is an STI standard 5 inch with a Brazos comp, and 2 ports in the barrel/slide. It's major 9, shooting major loads its pretty good, although I'd like it to be flatter, my smith says if I can get to 1400 or so fps with it then he could add another port and it would still make major, will it shoot flatter with another port and the 1400 fps (vs 1330 or so now) rounds?