Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practiscore now score IDPA

SauconValley Shooter

Alan,

I just downloaded this and am trying it on my droid.

Do you "build" stages as in USPSA? (Listing the number of targets and the shots per target, etc?

How do you enter points down, just the total points down for the whole stage as .5 penalties?

Thanks,

Koski

No I do not build individual stages as with USPSA. I have one generic stage with the appropriate IDPA penalties and 5 targets listed with penalties of .5 each. You don't need all the targets in a stage. If it is zero down you do nothing. Only if they drop points do you then put the points down on a target. This could theoretically be done with only one penalty target of .5 and put all the points down on that one space. Having roughly five targets listed is plenty for the points down to be entered as multiple target's individual points down can be added to the same penalty target space. I hope this makes some sense.

Edited by IronEqualizer

Alan,

I just downloaded this and am trying it on my droid.

Do you "build" stages as in USPSA? (Listing the number of targets and the shots per target, etc?

How do you enter points down, just the total points down for the whole stage as .5 penalties?

Thanks,

Koski

No I do not build individual stages as with USPSA. I have one generic stage with the appropriate IDPA penalties and 5 targets listed with penalties of .5 each. You don't need all the targets in a stage. If it is zero down you do nothing. Only if they drop points do you then put the points down on a target. This could theoretically be done with only one penalty target of .5 and put all the points down on that one space. Having roughly five targets listed is plenty for the points down to be entered as multiple target's individual points down can be added to the same penalty target space. I hope this makes some sense.

As long as the software doesn't recognize excessive points down for one target and automatically add a FTN penalty that would work.

I've downloaded the app to my Iphone and will try it out at the next match.

My club just purchased 6 iPod Touches to use for scoring IDPA and USPSA matches. I'm going to try using Practiscore for our November IDPA match so I created a test match tonight.

Couple of questions:

- Is there any significance to the Major/Minor scoring options when adding shooters to an IDPA match?

- Will the software support storing and importing IDPA member numbers (and SCSA numbers if that is a future match type)? Since we are a USPSA, IDPA and SCSA club it would be nice to keep all of that info stored together since there is a lot of shooter overlap between disciplines.

- When I select "Email Results" I end up with an email and attached .zip file with the scores but the emails addresses I entered during registration aren't populated. Is this a bug or feature?

- Are there plans to integrate Practiscore with the Beach Bunny software? Or a classifier option that would export the scores from a classifier match for batch upload to the IDPA website?

- Is there a way to donate money to practiscore? I looked on the website but couldn't find a "donate" button.

- When I select "Email Results" I end up with an email and attached .zip file with the scores but the emails addresses I entered during registration aren't populated. Is this a bug or feature?

Not a bug and it will not self populate....easiest way is to upload scores to Practiscores with a touch of a couple buttons...just let the shooters know where you post them.

Edited by DrawandDuck

Thanks Draw. Once uploaded to practiscore.com, what is the easiest way to get the list of match email addresses out of Practiscore (to email the results link) without having to go into the shooter registration screen and copying each shooter's email individually?

Not a "easy" way.....I have a sign in sheet and 95% of the shooters are repeat customers so their e-mail address self populates when I key in the first couple letters....during the match briefing I tell shooters that the scores will be up within a couple hours and to check practiscore for them. I ask the shooters to preregister for the match by simply replying to the announcemnt e-mail (name, USPSA#, division and class). I enter this onto a spreadsheet which makes registration go very smooth and I can keep track of paid shooters as well as log the walk ups. Practiscore requires more work on the front end of the match but nothing compared to the time savings on the back end.

I just downloaded he oct 22 version and it still kicks out when scoring the first target.

You need to update your device's operating system to iOS6. Then this problem will go away. It worked for me.

I've also heard that a recent update fixed the "kick out on first score" problem. But I'm not sure if that is true.

I also use the Ipod touches (VERY HAPPY WITH THEM) they last about 4 stages (USPSA) before having to plug in the external battery, these can be purchased off ebay for around $4 each....I have 2 for each unit.

Randal...we run the Nooks on 6 stages and still have over 50% battery remaining on each when we are complete. I do keep a couple extra battery packs handy just in case.

I also use the Ipod touches (VERY HAPPY WITH THEM) they last about 4 stages (USPSA) before having to plug in the external battery, these can be purchased off ebay for around $4 each....I have 2 for each unit.

Randal...we run the Nooks on 6 stages and still have over 50% battery remaining on each when we are complete. I do keep a couple extra battery packs handy just in case.

I realize the nooks have a longer battery life, but still would not trade the ipods for them.....cant stand the long delay when keying in the scores, having to fool with the rooting crap (ipods are download program and go) and do not like lugging them around either.

Edited by DrawandDuck