Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old Aimpoint info

Neomet

I just scored an older Aimpoint but darned if I can find any info on it. It is labled an Aimpoint Comp and has a blue housing. I thought the Comps only came in silver and the Comp XDs in blue. The unit takes three 357 batteries and looks to be a 7moa dot. Appreciate any info on this one.

Pretty sure the mid-90's Comp scopes came in silver or blue and even a few in black (like the older Aimpoint 5000). Not an expert on the Comp XD scopes. The 7MOA is perfect for uspsa, also a nice thing is the old Aimpoints are about 5/8" shorter and 1.5 oz lighter than the mid-2000s model.

The Aimpoint Comp was the built to replace the 5000. It is a mid 1990's scope and I actually had one on my caspian hi cap until 2010 when it finally went out. The one I had was blue and a 10moa dot. I also used a rescomp battery cap to increase the brightness of the dot. The cap allowed you to add another battery. The next generation was the XD model that really was a big improvement in dot brightness and battery life.I used one of them from 2010 to late 2011 when it went out. I now use a comp sc in 7moa dot but if I could find another pretty blue XD in 10moa I would go back in a heartbeat.

Enjoy

Marty

A-7424

Thanks guys! Marty, I just found a double battery cap at SWFA. I'll see if that bumps the brightness up enough. The desert sun is unforgiving of dots that are not bright. I do specifically like how light it is compared to the current generation Comps.

It will get bright...better wear your iridium plated sunglasses to avoid burning your retinas out! (ok, it won't get that bright...but it will get a lot brighter)

Used to jam three 357s in tasco PDP2 scopes and they were amazingly bright.

You will remember to turn it off when you put 4 of those little batteries in it at about 3.00 per battery. If it is still not bright enough the dark filter that should have been in the box works well also. If you didn't get one PM me!

Marty

A-7424

Aimpoint Comp 7MOA did come in blue but it is not listed on the Aimpoint website under discontinued. I checked with Aimpoit on that. I have one and it works perfectly without adding an additional battery. Could be your diode. Aimpoint USA can send it back to Sweden for repairs costs $100.00. Also have the Aimpoint Comp SC 7MOA. Right now I use a Tasco PDP5 45mm objective lens, I like the bigger field of view/ease of finding the dot when running & shooting and the ability to change dot sizes...4, 8, 12, & 16; and it work great & adds just a little extra weight which reduces muzzle flip.

I actually sent the Aimpoint Comp and XD back to be repaired and both were returned unrepairable. I spoke to a Rep from Aimpoint about this at the NRA show and he said the discontinued scopes are supported for 10 years after the scopes were discontinued iirc. Both the Comp and the XD were over that. I would have been happy to pay the $100.00 to get either one fixed, especially the XD.

Marty

A-7424

Edited by martyg00

Thanks guys! Marty, I just found a double battery cap at SWFA. I'll see if that bumps the brightness up enough. The desert sun is unforgiving of dots that are not bright. I do specifically like how light it is compared to the current generation Comps.

Pardon my ignorance, who is SWFA? I would love to get some caps for my scopes.

Never mind, found it

Edited by hdgun

I actually sent the Aimpoint Comp and XD back to be repaired and both were returned unrepairable. I spoke to a Rep from Aimpoint about this at the NRA show and he said the discontinued scopes are supported for 10 years after the scopes were discontinued iirc. Both the Comp and the XD were over that. I would have been happy to pay the $100.00 to get either one fixed, especially the XD.

Marty

A-7424

Aimpoint USA does not do any repairs to the Comp or Comp XD. In fact they do no repairs, only replace scopes. They cannot even sell reconditioned scopes. The head of marketing told me they will send it back to Sweden for repairs, but you have to lean on them a little.

Is the head of the Marketing Department John Enloe? I have already paid once to send the XD back to them and they sent it back in 2 weeks unrepairable. I'm not ranting on Aimpoint but IMO they are too busy with their Military comittments to worry about anything else. I think that is kind of sad since I have used an Aimpoint since the early 1990's on my open guns and have NEVER used another scope in competition. 3 5000's a Comp an XD and a SC 7. I'm the only one locally that shoots an Aimpoint and it has been kind of my trademark. I explained all this to a Marketing Rep at the NRA show here in St. Louis this spring. He had no interest in helping other than to try to sell me the latest and greatest with only a 4moa dot. No thanks! It kills me to say this as I wear an Aimpoint patch on my shooting jersey that if/when the SC blows I am going to switch brands.

Marty

A-7424

Edited by martyg00

Maybe 5 years ago the zero was drifting on my 10 MOA aimpoint comp (with likely over 80,000 rounds on it); I called the guy from Aimpoint USA and he sent new windage & elevation "barrels" thinking that the threads were worn out but the threads in the body should be fine - correct on both counts. The first new set didn't fit so they said send us the sight we'll find the right new parts which they did & returned the sight within a week. My total cost: USPS one-way shipping, under $10.

In the mean time I used a CompC SM with 3 MOA dot which you can easily crank up "too" bright w/the center dot appearing to be about 6 MOA and w/the easily-seen-in-full daylight translucent red flare appearing to be about 30 MOA. I still have both sights but use the 10 MOA as it's always been bright enough with one 357 and one 1/3N battery. For what it's worth the Comp measures 4.370" long & weighs just over 5 oz; the CompC is 4.815" long, weighs just under 7 oz & takes one 1/3N battery (or two 357's).

Never mind, found it

Just got a notice that they are backordered on the double battery cap. ;-(

Never mind, found it

Just got a notice that they are backordered on the double battery cap. ;-(

Thanks, i was going to order this week. guess i will wait.