Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frames

Iggy42

Ok so my first handgun was a Springfield 1911 which I later used bone stock to shoot USPSA single stack for a couple years. Recently I moved up to Limited with an XDm from Canyon Creek. Now I love shooting Limited, but I find I really miss the feel of a 1911. I knew going in that an XDm was going to feel different, but I choose it since it was the closest I could get to a 1911 within my budget. This has got me thinking though that when I move to a 2011 of some type would I be better off with a Caspian build or an Edge to get me back to that true 1911 feel. Now as a fan of the long dust covers it appears I will have to go with an Edge, but I do not know if a Caspian can be done with a long dust cover. Just looking for peoples thoughts on what I can/should consider when I scrape together enough pennies.

Some things to keep in mind:

Most likely be running factory ammo (I want to get a Dillon or at least competition ammo from someone, but budget will restrict that)

Cost (a Dawson Super tuned Edge or a Brazos High Performance Edge will be hard enough let alone a complete custom build)

Nothing against my XDm or Rich's work, both are excellent, but I am more confident/comfortable shooting a 1911 style of pistol over a polymer striker style pistol.

If Caspian makes a long dust cover frame your build would work. If someone has to add to the standard dc to make it a ldc the cost would outweigh the end result IMHO. Hope others chime in on your ?.....

Richard

Since you're on a budget, I would check the classifieds and buy used. There are a ton of great deals that pop up on this forum, just keep your eyes open.

This! And take the savings, get a press and start reloading. You will be able to shoot more for the same $$$ and you will be able to tune the ammo to your gun for the feel you want.

There is a little diffent feel to an STI and a Caspian frame. It is really a matter of personal preference in what fits your hand better. The Caspians seem to be a little longer and narrower, while the STI grips seem to be a little shorter and wider. In my opinion I like the feel of the STI grip better than the Caspian. I think the feel of the action on either will be the same, and is probably the main thing you are speaking of when you refer to a 1911.

Mike

Edited by Croomrider

I know what you're going through. I'm in a similar situation, been shooting SS forever and I'm sick of reloading all the time. I tried to shoot production for a few weeks with a G34 and hated every minute of it so any idea I had of building a limited setup with a glock went right out the window, along with the realization that I won't be able to shoot limited without squeezing the bank. There was a thread around here not too long ago talking about whether building a 2011 from the ground up or just buying something like a Dawson tuned Edge is more cost efficient and the general conseus seemed to be that you really wont save much money in the long run, especially if you dont have the tools and hardware to work it all together. On a side note, I havent checked in a while so I have no idea whats available but if you're looking at caspian frames you should also check out foster industries, if I'm not mistaken they sell Caspians blems.

Personally I'd like to get my hands on something used in good condition with a sight tracker setup on a full length dust cover... I'm not holding my breath though. Besides the classifieds here does anyone know where I should be keeping a lookout, besides gunbroker.com and gunsamerica?

Since you're on a budget, I would check the classifieds and buy used. There are a ton of great deals that pop up on this forum, just keep your eyes open.

This! And take the savings, get a press and start reloading. You will be able to shoot more for the same $$$ and you will be able to tune the ammo to your gun for the feel you want.

Trust me I would love to buy a press, but sadly space is at a premium here at the house. Basically I have no room for a press setup try as I might. Thankfully it not because I should be on one of those hoarder programs, just small house without a garage or basement.

One thing I have not be able to find is if anyone knows what causes STIs to favor long ammo. I have read here that some can run factory or long, but most recommend long. I have can't find the reasons why, and more importantly what the other solutions are for someone like me that will most likely be using factory ammo.

Iggy, you don't need much room, or anything fancy, for reloading.

For years, I did it in the kitchen.

The press was attached to a piece of wood that was c-clamped to a kitchen counter.

Easy to set up and take down.

Just don't try it while your wife is cooking dinner.

And be careful not to drop primers down the disposal.

She really won't like those kinds of surprises.

Now, I use a small home made stand, 3 foot tall and 2 food wide.

Picture a short, heavy duty book case.

Three shelves hold the stuff and the press sits on top.

You can put something like this anywhere.

Just a thought.

Edited by g.willikers

For me the short dust cover STI pistols balance better and recover from recoil better. Suggest Eagle over the Edge for these reasons. See if club members will let you run a few rounds through their pistol to see which feels best to you. Most will try and help with your decision. I have a five inch built STI pistol with Caspian slide in 40 S@W. Bought it used, I'm third owner, very pleased with the pistol lot better balance than my Edge.

Going to shoot 40 S@W in an STI platform pistol really need to load for it, most don't run stock length ammo 100%.

I've been shooting 175gn cast lead bullets loaded long to 1.220 for years, runs great. Even in todays world it about $100 a thousand to load using range brass.

Have a friend moving to IPSC from IDPA and wanted a wide body platform STI gun. Suggested he try one in 9mm. He doesn't want to reload. 9mm will run better than 40S@W using factory ammo, mags hold 23 rounds. He scoring minor but is an accurate shooter. low mag capacity in 45 won't work for a Limited class pistol. Lower ammo cost for 9mm is a plus also. Bushing barrel Eagle in 9mm could be used to play both games just changing magazines.

Takes a small amount of room to load, even seen a 550 set up on a work mate and folded up and put in a closet when not in use. Loading 40 out long solves feeding issues in these guns in 40. Number 1 reason to reload, tuning ammo to your pistol. Finding the right load and the pistol will perform better. Second reason is cost savings which can be considerable if you shop wise, buy in volume. Any serious shooter needs to reload, let's you shoot more, can be as much fun a shooting if you really get into it.

USPSA has a classifieds listing but much of what I've seen there is a repeat of stuff here.

You mean the 'Walter D. Kradin' classifieds? :lol:

Great place to look for "cute french designer" frames

Edited by z40acp