Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on plug dimensions?

Shooter115

Okay I leave in one week for the Blue Ridge Mountain 3-gun. Tac-ops rules for this match state the shotgun can only hold 8 rounds in the tube, so I need to plug my 10 round tube down a bit. I have 3 factory plugs at home, but none of them are long enough. So I picked up some oak dowel rod today in 1/2" and 5/8" diameter. The 5/8" its perfectly inside the mag spring, but still moves freely, the 1/2" fits loose. Any reason not to use the 5/8" dowel to make the plug? Could the spring possibly bind up on the larger dowel?

I take an empty 12ga hull and cut it down about 3/4 way. Then I wrap the end of the dowel with electrical tape till it's a snug fit to the inside of the hull. Push it inside, put a little silicone adhesive around the mouth of the hull to make sure the dowel/tape stay in place. (though to be honest I have some that I didn't do that to and they haven't moved.) I've always used 3/8 dowel.

ETA: This is the first and crudest one. Works fine… I was just too lazy to go find the "nice" ones. ;)

photo_4.JPG

Is that 3/8's? lol Smaller? :blink:

The spring goes around the hull up to the rim and holds it centered. I have two for my M2 and one for my Super Nova, I've had no binding issues with either.

Edited by cas

One of the local boys with 9+1 M2 noticed that BRM3G “8 in the tube” rule a few days ago. A dummy round between the mag spring and mag tube end cap did the job and will not slide around inside the tube and/or spring.

Edited by GunCat