Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee factory crimp die on the 650

What are your opinions with using the Lee factory crimp dies on the 650?

I'm trying to set one up for 45 acp, and my press does not run smooth like it

should, feels jerky, and throws powder everywhere. I'm setting it up according

to the instructions? If you take the crimping station out of the equation,the press

runs smooth again. Has anyone else ever had this problem? On my turret press, it works

great. Whats the best way to crimp on the 650? Thanks

I use one on my 650 but I also use One Shot case lube to load my ammo and it helps smooth out the process. The problem is you are sizing the loaded round and when the sizing ring goes over the bullet loaded in the case it meets a lot of resistence. The lube helps it slip over the loaded round/bullet better.

Neal in AZ

Always lube cases, makes the whole operation easier on the dies, the machine and the operator.

Fan of Lee Dies the first stage sizer holds the bullet and Lee's sizer will size closer to the extractor groove than other brands and a little tighter overall. I use the FCD as a standard crimp die 45acp crimp should be .468 to .472 at the very edge. Too much crimp accuracy drops off. All crimp should do is help feed the bullet into the chamber. Lee's sizer, put the lock nut under the tool head using Dillon 1 inch locking nuts. The threads on Lee dies are shorter, not enough thread to hold the die from the top.

Loading 9mm or 40S@W check out Lee's U die, it's undersized a few thousands. Seen several custom pistols that would'nt run, run great by changing the sizing die.