Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

making up bad shots

ErikW

A lot of the misses I shoot are hopers, where I see something bad or don't see what I need, and I move on to the next target hoping to get the hit.

I need to make a mental paradigm shift so I can make up those shots instead of hoping and leaving. How?

Have you read the Lanny Bassham book?

It so simple, really.

A big part of it is what you ask your conscious mind for when you program for the stage.

Nearly everybody asks themselves for speed...and they get it.

Program you mind to see nothing but Alphas. Ask for Alphas. Your speed will still be there...it is what it is...trust it.

Forget focusing on results. Focus on execution.

Erik,

looks like I was in the same boat.

I have been shooting and hoping for a long time, sometimes I've been lucky, most of the times not...

I guess what you are referring to is that you call your shot as a poor one or a mike, but your conscious thought rejects (or filters out) this observation coming from your awareness, and carry on hoping what you saw was not correct.

At least this is what was happening to me until a few months ago.

Then I started to seriously dry-fire with Steve's book.

What happened was that since there was no shot being actually fired, I was focusing more on the rear/front sight/target relationship while pulling the trigger.

After several weeks of this dry-firing training, I had reached the point where my brain was kinda short-circuited: the very moment I saw a poor "shot" while pulling the trigger, I was making it up without thinking about it. The brain was short-circuited: my awareness was driving my trigger finger.

I don't know if this makes sense to you, but doing a fair amount of this training brought me to shoot the last league match in a way I have never done before: a total of 6 Ds oin a 180-rounds match, no penalties, fair to good times, and a rewarding 85% final result that I had never achieved before.

Hope this helps.

Have you read the Lanny Bassham book?

It so simple, really.

A big part of it is what you ask your conscious mind for when you program for the stage.

Nearly everybody asks themselves for speed...and they get it.

Program you mind to see nothing but Alphas.  Ask for Alphas.  Your speed will still be there...it is what it is...trust it.

Forget focusing on results.  Focus on execution.

Eureka!! Lanny put it clearly in his book but this post is what I've been looking for and not knowing it. Focus on execution. :D thx Flex.

Bring your camcorders because now I'm off to execute 28 good stages at the Europeans.. :D;)

I think it was Matt B who said that "most shoot a stage at a certain level of panic" or something...

Maybe the answer to your question (and mine as well) is to just remain calm. Trust that we're going fast enough, shoot at a speed we know we can comfortably get the hits we want (and need). ;)

Easier said than done... <_<

I think it was Matt B who said that "most shoot a stage at a certain level of panic" or something...

I'm pretty sure that quote was from Saul Kirsch being interviewed by Matt B in "the Super Squad of the 2003 USPSA Open ..."