Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Match Next Month

Storz

I've been lurking on this forum since earlier this year, and trying to read and learn as much as possible. I am planning to shoot my first match on Nov 3rd at Sir Walter here in NC and just have a quick question or two.

I have a Glock 31, but to save on ammo costs I have converted it to a .40cal with a Lone Wolf barrel. Will this change what class I shoot in?

The only holster I currently have is a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB, what would you guys recommend for a solid beginner OWB holster for a fullsize Glock? I do have an OK gunbelt already (Uncle Mikes)

.40cal ammo recommendations?

Thanks!

Welcome to the addiction.

Not sure about the barrel swap, but a lot of people run Bladetech DOH holsters. They are economical and sturdy for our purposes. I use Bladetech for my XDM and 2011. You will also need some mag pouches and a few magazines. For production, alot of people have 5 or 6 mags; one in the gun and 4-5 on their belt.

As far as ammo, do you reload? If not, you're in a bit of a quandry. If you can shoot production, most factory 40 ammo will be way overpowered. You can try Atlanta Arms & Ammo. They do a 40 minor ammo for production.

As far as the match goes, go slow and be dileiberate with your actions, get the points first and speed will come later. Don't worry about what other people are using for equipment, but you can ask them about it. Do ask alot of questions about stage breakdown and technique.

Edited by PKT1106

Welcome aboard!

When you say your first match, what are you referring to? (USPSA, Steel Challenge, IDPA, GSSF, etc) The rules are going to be different for each of these, so it will make a difference in what is permissible.

USPSA

As far as the match goes, go slow and be dileiberate with your actions, get the points first and speed will come later. Don't worry about what other people are using for equipment, but you can ask them about it. Do ask alot of questions about stage breakdown and technique.

Great advice. Look over the safety rules about breaking the 180, sweeping yourself and moving with your finger outside the trigger guard. Ask where the "Safe Area" is located. That is where you will uncase your gun and put it in the holster. Ammunition can be handled anywhere on the range except in the Safe Area. Guns can only be holstered / unholstered in the Safe Area or on the stage under the direction of the Range Officers.

USPSA

Check the website http://www.uspsa.org to see what is required for your gear and it's placement on your belt. With the Glock 31 which is a .357 Sig you will be shooting Production division so read through those pages in the rulebook. (http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-rules.php) Since it is just a local match and your very first one, they should not give you a hassle about the barrel change.

Relax. Have fun. Let the range officers know this is your first match and they will be very helpful.

One other detail. In Production you can only load 10 rounds in the magazines even though yours will hold 15-17. You can load 11 in the first magazine and chamber the first round at the line when the range officer gives the "Make ready" command (10 + 1 in the pipe). All your other magazines will have to have 10.

If you load the magazines to full capacity, that moves you to Limited and you are going to be running against custom guns with 22 round capacities.

While you may not get questioned at a local match, you will be in violation of the rules if you shoot your G31 in anything other the .357Sig. Reference Appendix D4 Section 21.3 on Page 79. If you are trying to stay within the constraints of the rules, your primary options are:

Production - Shooting .357Sig. Unless you load your own, you will be shooting major power factor loads but only getting scored for minor power factor. More information on this is available in the rules. Basically, you are scored higher for all but "A" hits when shooting major power factor. Production does not however recognize major power factor loads.

Limited - Your conversion barrel should be legal provided that you are not using an obscure brand that does not meet the minimum production limited. This also allows you to load your magazines to capacity and have more flexibility with your holster and pouch locations.

Limited 10 - Basically the same as Limited but you can only load 10 rounds per mag.

Rules stuff aside, you'll have a great time. Competitive shooting really is quite addictive and fun. Regardless of where you shoot, there will pretty much universally be a great group of shooters willing to take you under their wing. Enjoy!!!

While you may not get questioned at a local match, you will be in violation of the rules if you shoot your G31 in anything other the .357Sig. Reference Appendix D4 Section 21.3 on Page 79. If you are trying to stay within the constraints of the rules, your primary options are:

Production - Shooting .357Sig. Unless you load your own, you will be shooting major power factor loads but only getting scored for minor power factor. More information on this is available in the rules. Basically, you are scored higher for all but "A" hits when shooting major power factor. Production does not however recognize major power factor loads.

Limited - Your conversion barrel should be legal provided that you are not using an obscure brand that does not meet the minimum production limited. This also allows you to load your magazines to capacity and have more flexibility with your holster and pouch locations.

Limited 10 - Basically the same as Limited but you can only load 10 rounds per mag.

Rules stuff aside, you'll have a great time. Competitive shooting really is quite addictive and fun. Regardless of where you shoot, there will pretty much universally be a great group of shooters willing to take you under their wing. Enjoy!!!

The barrel is a Lone Wolf, standard length. Thanks for the info

It is against the rules to change caliber of a gun for production. I think it is also against the rules for limited and limited 10 as well, but someone who is better with the rule book can confirm.

Since it is a local match, I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Have fun!

Changing caliber is against prod rules, but is not an issue for Limited. Quite a few people shoot G20/21 converted to .40cal. To my knowledge LWD has taken care of getting all the paperwork filled for making their components Limited legal.

I would recommend loading your mags to capacity and shoot in Limited, so you can focus more on shooting and less on reloads and stage plans. You will be behind the gear curve a bit, but 1st time out that should be the furthest thing from your mind. Be safe, Take your time , get your A's, ask questions and have fun.

I would recommend loading your mags to capacity and shoot in Limited, so you can focus more on shooting and less on reloads and stage plans.

Excellent idea :)

Just ordered a Blade-Tech DOH holster, hopefully its here in time, their website is showing a 5 week lead time...

Edited by Storz

I would recommend loading your mags to capacity and shoot in Limited, so you can focus more on shooting and less on reloads and stage plans.

Excellent idea :)

Just ordered a Blade-Tech DOH holster, hopefully its here in time, their website is showing a 5 week lead time...

If it's not too late to cancel your order, I'd suggest checking with Shooter's Connection. They are a forum sponsor, have competitive prices, and impossibly fast service. If you register with their website as a Brianenos member, you are eligible for discounts on some products. As you will see in their dealer section of this forum, they have a consistent stream of satisfied customers (myself repeatedly included). I've considered just direct depositing my pay check with them. :rolleyes:

If it's not too late to cancel your order, I'd suggest checking with Shooter's Connection. They are a forum sponsor, have competitive prices, and impossibly fast service. If you register with their website as a Brianenos member, you are eligible for discounts on some products. As you will see in their dealer section of this forum, they have a consistent stream of satisfied customers (myself repeatedly included). I've considered just direct depositing my pay check with them. :rolleyes:

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. I am going to call and cancel the order with Blade-Tech and order one from SC