Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cases Not Dropping to Shell Plate -- 650

So I've wrestled with this issue long enough to see if there's a more lasting solution.

Every now and again, I'll get a case (9mm) that won't drop from the cam arm into place for feeding to the shell plate. It's most common when the green collar in the arm is fouled; cleaning that up, as well as the metal ledge beneath it, definitely shows an improvement. But it does still happen from time to time when it's clean.

I adjusted the black plastic triangle that works the arm and feeds the cases to the plate (don't have the parts diagram handy to give official names) so that it pushes the arm as much as possible, but I still get a hiccup. When it happens, simply holding the ram down for an extra second or so gets the case to drop.

I may need to look at that adjustment again, as I was getting the dreaded bin mount/completed round ramp stuck under said part from time to time and may have thrown it out of whack. That said, is there anything else that can be tweaked?

I also had an issue the other day where the spring popped out of the cam arm and had to be pushed back into place. Indication of something?

This 650 has seen... Wow... 85k rounds now, I guess, so possible parts breakage or wear that I'm not seeing or considering?

I have a brand new 650. I mean it just arrived last week. Toward the end of my first 1000 rounds of 9mm I loaded. I had this happen to me more than a few times. Twice in a row the case didn't fall from the tube into the little green arm that goes back and forth and drops the case down. Then it dropped a case, then a few more, then it skipped one again. At one point I had 6-7 primers that had been skipped because a case didn't drop. I got through the last of my batch, but I'm wondering what the fix is as well. I was using Hornady one-shot for lube and don't think it would foul it up that quick, though I hadn't thought of that.

• 1 month later...

I chased the same problem around and around and stumbled upon what was causing it (on my machine): the slide cam (#97082) was rubbing slightly against the chute bin (#13470). By bending the chute inward, the problem disappeared. Might be worth a look.

Doug.

aka Cordite Blues

So I've wrestled with this issue long enough to see if there's a more lasting solution.

Every now and again, I'll get a case (9mm) that won't drop from the cam arm into place for feeding to the shell plate. It's most common when the green collar in the arm is fouled; cleaning that up, as well as the metal ledge beneath it, definitely shows an improvement. But it does still happen from time to time when it's clean.

I adjusted the black plastic triangle that works the arm and feeds the cases to the plate (don't have the parts diagram handy to give official names) so that it pushes the arm as much as possible, but I still get a hiccup. When it happens, simply holding the ram down for an extra second or so gets the case to drop.

I may need to look at that adjustment again, as I was getting the dreaded bin mount/completed round ramp stuck under said part from time to time and may have thrown it out of whack. That said, is there anything else that can be tweaked?

I also had an issue the other day where the spring popped out of the cam arm and had to be pushed back into place. Indication of something?

This 650 has seen... Wow... 85k rounds now, I guess, so possible parts breakage or wear that I'm not seeing or considering?