Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

308 loads go fast

usmc1974

I have a question I weigh every charge on my RCBS ditagel scale, all remington brass trimed to 2.015 with remington large rifle primers, serria 175bthp bullets, varget powder 45 grains OAL 2.800 no crimp.. Now all data has this this load going out of a 24 inch barrel at about 2600.. But, my savage model 10 24 inch heavy fluted R5 rifled barrel sends it at 2800+ no real pressure signs and they all go into one small hole at 100 yards.

I guess the question is, why is my vel so high?

• 2 weeks later...

Since it is Remington brass I would assume it is commercial. The thicker webbing in mil brass can make a diference. I have a 7.62 book that gives lots of warnings in loading hot loads in mil brass. I use all nato brass, it does have slightly lower capacity than commercial, which effects pressure. I start a tad lower and work up.

• 3 weeks later...

As mentioned previously, count yourself lucky and keep rolling. If you are super concerned about, you might want to verify your charge weight on a 2nd scale. If your primers look ok and you arent dealing with any overly sticky extraction, be happy and shoot farther.

I'd say that is quite fast. Try backing your chrono back from the rifle a ways and see what your averages look like.

My load is 47 grains of Varget with a 155 Lapua Scenar @ 2.830" or so for 2900 FPS.

The 175s should be about 2650 or so with your load.

I guess you could also verify your load by shooting it at 600+ and checking the elevation against one of the available ballistic calculators. You may be able to come up with a better estimate of your velocity working backward from there.

But if you're hitting the targets you need to hit, perhaps that's all you need to worry about.