Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass getting hung up on size/deprime mauling brass

Dillon xl650

Every so often the brass on the first station ( size/deprime ) will not line up exactly and on my down stroke the brass will bash into the lip of the die instead of through it, causing it to deform and I have to toss it.

I've gone through all the motions, shell plate is snug, the ramp that pushes the brass in looks to be pushing it all the way in.

Completely random, but when it's " acting up " sometimes it'll happen 1 out of 10 loads.

any ideas?

R.I.P buggered .45 brass

7983557311_5133575178_z.jpg

1) Loosen the die, insert brass and lower the handle all the way then tighten the lock ring.

OR

2) my brass will stick to the feeder arm if I go very very slow with the press. Usually if I am working on something else on the press. Not often though.

I think step 1 will help a lot.

If the feeding assembly is dirty it can sometimes stick and propel the case instead of a smooth transition. It can cause the case to hit the shellplate and bounce back slightly. A good cleaning may solve the problem.

Make sure you have the off angle plastic "A" in the correct direction and adjusted correctly. Also check and make sure there are no little hunks of corncobb or other stuff stuck in the grove of the shell plate (most likely if it occurs in multiples of 5 indexes ie 1:5, 1:10 strokes).