Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rust or copper fouling? (pics)

FightFireJay

looks like copper to me, not really dark enough to be rust, that and if it was rust it should be all the way around the inside of the barrel i would think.

I was thinking the same, but...

1- maybe the melonite was shitty and the very first round stripped it bare and now the lands are rusting?

2- what would cause so much copper fouling in from only the factory test shots?

It certainly doesn't look like rust, but then again... it doesn't look like gilding metal, either.

Could be oil or grease that got cooked on during the test firing-- especially if the whole gun is slathered. I've seen it on AR barrel extensions quite often, in much the same pattern... and sometimes so dark that you'd swear it WAS rust.

Run a tight patch soaked with Breakfree down the thing and see what color it comes out. Rust stands out on the patches as flagrant, red and stomach churning. If you spray the barrel first and let it soak some, the patch alone should pull a ton of it out if it's rust. If not, it'll be in there until you shoot it out.

Update...

I called S&W customer service and the person I talked to didn't seem to concerned. He says they often change brands of ammo for test firing and may need to fire a mag or two if they need to adjust sights or make other adjustments.

He also rambled off something about how it's not broach cut rifling anymore, they use ECR rifling process now. I don't know if that makes a difference in picking up copper fouling.

Anyways, he said to clean it real well and shoot it and if there are any problems to have it sent back after shooting it.

I guess I should worry less and just clean it and shoot it.

-Jay

You got one of the water cooler guns that all of the guys there used to shoot the shit.

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking... So I called the dealer.

Update...

Called the dealer I purchased them from, sent them pictures. I thought they were going to help me out, but they advices me to contact S&W via email not phone.

So I wrote it all up in a nice email... Along with a new complaint, a horrible crown on a second shield I purchased. I am now awaiting reply.

post-40264-134765381832_thumb.jpg

All three of my S&W M&Ps are very well laid out and put together, with the weak point being the barrels (the crown on my M&P pro is ugly as well.)

I got things cleared up with S&W. The rep that saw the pictures confirmed that the level of copper fouling is not common but not unheard of. I went ahead and cleaned the barrel, and low and behold, my patches came out blue/green, so it was definitely copper, although I have never seen so much. If it continues to foul badly after several hundred rounds I should send it back and presumably the barrel will be replaced.

The 9mm, however, is getting shipped back because of the ugly crown. No cost to me for shipping, other than I won't be able to shoot it for awhile. Hopefully it comes back with a nice pretty crown and no other issues.

It's sorry to see their QC is so low that they continue to release inferior/defective products and rely on the consumer to QC the product. Sure, they stand behind their product but the end user HAS to call them on the problem before it gets corrected and then return their gun to be corrected.

Just think of how may people accept the trash they release vs those that expect a quality product upon delivery and call them when they fall short? Pathetic!