Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 40 Pro doesn't like small rifle primers

Bill Schwab

My 1050 and 1911's seem to like Winchester Small Rifle primers, so over the past 12 or so years all 40 & 38 SuperComp ammo has used WSR primers. I just bought a new 40 Pro and like it a lot, but of the 200 rounds through it 3 of the WSR's did not ignite the first time (they had a firing pin dent on their primer). I ran those 3 through the gun again and they ignited the second time. Is this typical of striker fired guns?

I do believe the cup thickness of a small rifle primer is thicker than that of a small pistol primer and if true the rifle primer would need more energy to ignite. But what's the point of using rifle primers in a pistol in the first place?

But what's the point of using rifle primers in a pistol in the first place?

WSR primers run smoothly through my 1050, and I only have to stock one size of primer for pistol and 223 rifle. I've used them in 40 for about 10 years, and this is the first problem I've had.

I'm sending my gun to Dan Burwell for a trigger job and he offers a service for light strikes, here's what he said: "I lighten the striker and set-back the shoulder allowing it to protrude through the breach face further." I'm having that done, and I'll report back afterwards and tell you if the gun ignites Win Small Rifle primers.