Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

16" mid or 18" rifle for 3 gun?

Zmego

I am very new to 3 gun and I am just got the go ahead from my wife to finish my "budget build" AR. I think I have most everything figured out except for the barrel length and the gas system length.

The few matches I have shot I used a 18 inch mid length and did very well and had no recoil issues. Problem is I am very impatient and am having a hard time finding 18 inch barrels in stock anywhere...at least on my budget. Is there any advantage to going with a 18" over 16"? Is the main difference between rifle and mid-length gas systems recoil?

Any and all advice is welcomed.

The NC barrel is a good option. Personally I think the best buy going as far as barrels are concerned is the 18" DPMS Mark 12 barrel made by Wilson. They were just on sale at Midway for $160 last month and comes with a gas block and tube. One of my AR's has a 20" Kreiger heavy contour, one aother I have a 16" Lother Walther barrel. Both are easy sub-MOA rifles, but the one that will out-group them both happens to be the Mark 12 barrel. Shouldn't be, but it is.

Edited by Shooter115

Nordic barrel= good. DPMS Mark12= Heavy.

If you don't often shoot beyond 400, a 16" barrel will get the job done and might even be preferred. There will be no noticable difference in accuracy inside of 400. If you frequently shoot beyond 400, the additional velocity will serve you well. Rifle length gas is nice and does help a little when chasing that last little bit of recoil refinement, but a good tunable comp (such as the rolling thunder) will make that 16" handle very flat and smooth.

I completely forgot about NC, it looks like they have some 18's in stock and that might do me in. I have looked at the DPMS Mark 12 but I was a little hesitant because of the weight. 2.65LBS sounds like a lot.

The actual difference in weight is only 4 oz, but it's also $110 cheaper. I didn't say it was the very best barrel, but I do think it's the best "bang for your buck" barrel. When I built my game rifle, budget was an issue with a new baby on the way. After shooting it for almost a year I'm not disappointed in my choice one bit. In fact I just bought another when they were on sale last month.

You can read the original thread on it here. Budget 3-gun build

If you've got the cash go for the Nordic. It's a great barrel, from a great company, run by great folks. They have outstanding customer service and do a ton to support the shooting sports.

Edited by Shooter115