Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cure for slinging powder from Square Deal?

I looked around a bit and didn't see any tips, but shy of changing powders has anyone found a way to slow the indexing on a Square Deal? I occasionally sling quite a bit of powder. Before you say, slow down... :rolleyes:

Edited by Seale

You're dealing with a very small shell plate that is whipping the full case through a 90 degree turn really quick, in a tight arc, and with an abrupt stop at the end to boot. Physics are working against you here, my friend.

You might try:

A load that doesn't top off the case.

Well lubed cases that don't "pop off" the belling die, making the powder jump in the case.

Rather than slamming the handle up to seat the primer, ease it in, just slowing at the very top of the stroke and then pushing rather than punching the primer into the case. Through the mechanical llnkages of the press, this last minute easing will decrease the deceleration jolt experienced by the full case moving into the seating position. There will also be less vibration from the seating itself.

When I bought mine used, it did that. The shellplate clicked into position hard. Dillon sent a new rachet thing that pushes the plate around. That, combined with polishing the bottom of the plate, and a partial rebuild, totally solved the problem. The plate simply just moves into postion now and stops, no clicking or flicking.