Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Standard Upgrades and Accessories for IDPA CDP

Not-So-Mad Matt

At the recent IDPA East Coast Championship I won a Remington 1911 Enhanced. All that steel frightens and confuses me, since I'm a humble plastic-pistol shooter.

I'll obviously need a holster and some mag-holders. What are the usual suggestions (for IDPA)?

I hear I'll also want to buy magazines and a mag well. I know nothing. Help me out.

And would I want totally different equipment for USPSA SS?

Edited by Not-So-Mad Matt

I use the same gear for IDPA and USPSA. Comp-tac holster and mag carriers. I also love the Wilson 47D mags. You should add a magwell as the SS mag opening is just a bit wider than the mag. Other than that, it's all personal preference.

Depends on the magwell. Wilson has one that bolts on with your grips. Some are attached to the main spring housing. And others attach independently. So it depends on which ones you get.

So, would any 1911 mag well fit on the Remington? Which would be easiest attach? And what makes for a good mag well?

Your Remington is a 1911 clone, so yes they would fit. As far as which one, I'll leave that to someone else to answer, as I don't use one. Carried my personal 1911 in the Marines, and trained with it enough there that I don't feel I need one.

Depends on the magwell. Wilson has one that bolts on with your grips. Some are attached to the main spring housing. And others attach independently. So it depends on which ones you get.

So, would any 1911 mag well fit on the Remington? Which would be easiest attach? And what makes for a good mag well?

The ice magwell is easy to install, it comes with a mainspring housing, so you just swap out the existing one with the new one and you are good to go. The SVI and techwell installs are easy as well but the techwell requires you to buy their grips or you have to modify your existing ones. I have the ice magwell but am thinking about buying the SVI magwell in the near future

I like the nighthawk 1pc magwell. Really good grips and sights after a good trigger is all that is needed. I am running a double diamond micarta on one gun and vz on another. Cdp is a little harder to shoot than ssp/esp with plastic. I am a few matches into the transition. Fitting a magwell on and blending it like it was made there is another story! I have built 3 pistols and had the 3rd magwell blended by Alchemy Custom Weaponry. Big difference in what can be done with files and a mill.

Watch the weight of individual components when customizing the 1911. There is a 42 ounce weight limit including one empty mag. I have a S&A Magwell on all of mine, and the steel guns needed to shed some weight. Heavy magwell, heavy grips, adding new parts add the weight on quick as the gun in native form is pretty close to max weight by themselves. I have an aluminum guiderod in one, and I have actually added weight to some of my SS 1911's due to them being much lighter.

As far as holster and mag pouch, check out Comp-Tac. It is probably the most widely used holster I have seen at comps and at local clubs.

Enjoy, I am willing to bet you will need to locate some more room in your safe, because you cannot have just one.