Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First reloading session - need help

I just completed setting up my new XL650 and had made approximately 100 rounds when the press ram would now longer travel its full length and bring the shellplate to its highest position. As I the shellplate gets within about 1 1/2" of the bottom of the toolhead it begins to bind. I can short stroke the handle and the shell plate rotates between all positions just fine. I'm so new to this I have no idea to even know where to begin to look or what to take apart? Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks!

update ... looks like I found the culprit. As you can see from the pic it appears the spring has failed? If I push on the bar (to the left of the red arrow) I can make the press work like normal but I assume that spring is broken? Will that be easy to change out or will I be taking a lot of things apart?

post-32005-0-56681800-1344549267_thumb.j

Edited by Nimitz

That is a wave washer. It is supposed to look like that.

If the Primer Indexing Arm is sticking, polishing the pawl area will usually free it up. That is a piece of stamped metal; the edges are pretty sharp, so they'll catch on the primer plate instead of clicking over to the next hole to advance the plate on the next up-stroke.

Not sure what I did but I took the primer assembly off, made sure it was clean and worked the spring mechanism to cycle the plate, I then reassembled everything and it is working fine again ... Thx for everyone's suggestions ...