Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

We have made some minor updates to the IMA-SMM3G rules; we deleted some of the restrictions on magazines. Otherwise, the rules are unchanged from the previous version. Check out the posted copy of the new rules which has the changes highlighted in red.

This sport is in need of standardization but, as always, it will be a question of WHAT we standardize on. Our longer-term hope is that IMA-SMM3G rules and USPSA Multi-Gun Time-Plus rules will migrate towards ever closer union, and Chris Endersby seems to be on the right path with the latest revisions. Whether we get there will depend substantially on how much freedom we at SMM3G feel we will still have to put on THE BEST 3-Gun match in the World. :devil:

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Cool - drum mags won't make a difference 99% of the time but it will be fun to watch people dump a whole lot of ammo on the long range stages. Also, I like the round limitation for HM instead of mag length limitation. .......but after allowing drums for rifles why bother keeping a limit on handgun mag length in TO and TL at this point?

Cool - drum mags won't make a difference 99% of the time but it will be fun to watch people dump a whole lot of ammo on the long range stages. Also, I like the round limitation for HM instead of mag length limitation. .......but after allowing drums for rifles why bother keeping a limit on handgun mag length in TO and TL at this point?

The mag length for HM made no sense in the context of the loaded round limit, so we saw no harm in deleting this redundant text. However, for TS and TL there is no loaded round limit, so removing the mag length limit would potentially open up a costly arms race which is not something we want to encourage.

The mag length for HM made no sense in the context of the loaded round limit, so we saw no harm in deleting this redundant text. However, for TS and TL there is no loaded round limit, so removing the mag length limit would potentially open up a costly arms race which is not something we want to encourage.

...kinda seems like that's what you just did with rifles :eatdrink: I'm just trying to understand why one and not the other since these rules are so definitely not uspsa or ipsc and it seems to naturally follow the equipment shouldn't have to be defined by either. No different then having a different shotgun mag tube or plug for one match and a longer one for this match. Take these mags to this match, not to this one. We all know it is already an arms race and the arms race doesn't always determine winners but it is good for the economy :blush: Not trying to be a pain just trying to understand how the line gets determined.

Now I'm wondering if you are gonna design some crazy stages where I will be better off with a Beta Mag? Shoot, now I'm gonna have to budget for one before the annual Team Match, dammit. See you on Saturday :cheers:

...kinda seems like that's what you just did with rifles :eatdrink: I'm just trying to understand why one and not the other since these rules are so definitely not uspsa or ipsc and it seems to naturally follow the equipment shouldn't have to be defined by either. No different then having a different shotgun mag tube or plug for one match and a longer one for this match. Take these mags to this match, not to this one. We all know it is already an arms race and the arms race doesn't always determine winners but it is good for the economy :blush: Not trying to be a pain just trying to understand how the line gets determined.

Now I'm wondering if you are gonna design some crazy stages where I will be better off with a Beta Mag? Shoot, now I'm gonna have to budget for one before the annual Team Match, dammit. See you on Saturday :cheers:

The arms race with rifle magazines was started by SureFire. We could have followed what RM3G did and limit mags to dual-column types, but our feeling was that applying such a limitation to rifles would be arbitrary and capricious (kinda like bumping folks to open if their cinched mag baseplates or VFG touches the ground :devil: ). If it matters to you to have a rationale rooted in the origins of the sport, I would say that the big rifle mags are entirely "practical" as witnessed by the serious consideration that has been given to them by the military and others that go in harms way.

In contrast, a central part of the pistol's appeal is ease of carry, so limiting the size of their magazines in TS and TL is entirely consistent with the origins of the sport. Nothing prohibits pistol mags in a drum or quad-stack configuration if you can fit them in your gun and they meet the OAL constraints. :lol:

I doubt I will buy a new rifle drum mag - I think a second SureFire 60 would get more use (it would make an interesting cinched arrangement :surprise: ). If I do succumb and buy a drum, I'll probably go Korean as I will be only half as heartbroken when I drop it :roflol: