Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC WAP Site launched

Vince Pinto

Hi folks,

Those of you who live in "1st World" countries with a GSM network, and who have modern cellular phones (preferably with colour screens), with access to GPRS services allowing you the ability to browse WAP sites, are invited to visit and comment on:

http://www.tagtag.com/ipsc

Note the above URL will not work in a regular web browser - you must access it through a cellular telephone (or an emulator, but a cellular phone is best). BTW, the site was formatted to fit the screen of my Nokia 6230, but it should display as intended and work equally as well if you use a PDA "Smartphone" like a Treo, O2XDA or a Palm Tungsten.

Given the small size of cellular telephone screens and various other limitations, a WAP site cannot provide anywhere near the same amount of information as a website, but you will at least be able to see things such as "Who's Who", a list of member regions, information about major (Level IV & V) matches up until 2006, a Hall Of Champions and so on.

I'm still putzing around with the WAP site, so I'm not sure what other information I might add, but if you have any comments or suggestions, please let me know.

Vince,

Good idea. I'll check it out on my P900.

In terms of requirements, what I'd really like is a version of the rule book on a PDA or smart phone. This way, you would have a searchable rule book in your pocket all the time. A PDF file with content tags, modified for a smaller screen would be great. Maybe the WAP site coule provide any easy download point or online access.

Regards

Peter

Vince,

Do you guys get free web access on your phones? We have to pay through the nose for it here. (The absolute MAX bytes you can dowload via AT&T is 8 MB per month - which costs like $20 a month in addition to your phone bill. Consequenty, not many people use the web features on their phone here. At least anyone I know...)

Peter,

As far as I know, if you want to read an existing PDF file (such as the IPSC rulebook), on a portable device, you must download a reader for your OS (either Palm, Pocket PC or Symbian) from Adobe.

WAP sites are written in WML, which is essentially a version of HTML or XHTML for portable devices, and this is quite different to the above, yes? I thought about putting the rule book onto the WAP site, but apart from the fact that it would take a lot of blood, sweat & tears to cut & paste, I feel it would be a pain trying to read it on your P900, let alone on my (otherwise fantastic) Nokia 6230.

I think the smallest "acceptable" hardware would be a Palm or Pocket PC device, but definitiely nothing smaller than, say, a Nokia 9500 Communicator!

----------------------

Eric,

I'm currently using a "pay-as-you-go" plan for my GPRS here, which costs US$0.02 per Kb (no minimum) on top of my regular bill, but I'm thinking of upgrading to the US$15 per month plan which gives me up to 5Mb (basically half my current rate per Kb, if I use my full monthly quota).

I use SMS continuously every day, but these days I'm also using MMS more often because, with camera phones, you can take stills and videos of stuff at a match and send them to others on an MMS/MMS and/or MMS to email basis. It's so cool.

I imagine one of these days I'll be at home and I'll get an image by MMS asking for an opinion on a scoring issue from a club match somewhere :ph34r:

Back here GPRS costs Php0.25 per KB ($0.005/kb). But if you're a Globe subscriber, WAP access is free. ;) Unfortunately for me, I traded my WAP-capable phone for a cmore.

Btw, Vince, does that site have the Rules for download/viewing? Would be a great resource in matches without lugging the already-very-abused printout. :)

I imagine one of these days I'll be at home and I'll get an image by MMS asking for an opinion on a scoring issue from a club match somewhere :ph34r:

Good idea !

Thank you for your kind offer, but you forgot to post your mobile number, can you please post that for our convenience please ?

Thank you so much !

B)

Vince,

next step will be to create an ER unit at the ICFMBRO (of course, don't even ask it, operating 24/7) that will communicate with a fielded RO equipped with a hosercam, blue-tooth connected to his videophone, to impart directions and rulings at run-time during a match ... B)

You have been just appointed "Shift Supervisor", with Dr. Troy as "Surgical Assistant" and Dr. Arnie as "Psichological Advisor".

Dr. Arvid has graciously offered to work the night shift, since he'll soon be dealing with diapers and mid-night baby's bottle-feeding, thus he'll have plenty of awake time at night... :D

Oh, in case you're wondering what could I do, I'd be happy to work as a repairman for all the equipment... ;)

For those of us who live in the colonies (US), could someone pls explain what you are talking about. I take it it refers to being able to access the IPSC web site via your cell phone in countries using the GSM network?

Bones, Help him! His cell phone isn't working!!

Damnit Jim!! I'm a electrical engineer w/ a PhD in cellular networking, not a florist...oh, wait...OK. :)

David,

WAP (Wireless Application Protocol) is a means of accessing websites through a GSM cellular phone.

As Vince pointed out, it is not the same as browsing a regular website (lots of graphics and so on are lost), but you can get the main informations as well without a computer connected to the internet.

Thank you for your kind offer, but you forgot to post your mobile number, can you please post that for our convenience please ? Thank you so much !

Your wish is my command. The ER is now open.

My cellular phone number is now posted in my profile. The phone is on 24/7, but if I'm on another call, or on a plane, or asleep, or if I'm enjoying a bit of rumpy-bumpy (e.g. on my birthday & Valentine's Day), then it goes to voice mail, but you always get through.

BTW, over the last 18 months or so, I've answered quite a few rules questions which I received by SMS, live from matches in progress. Obviously I'm not making an actual decision for the match - it's generally a case of directing people to the correct rule.