Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady Powder measure dies

Didn't want to hijack the LNL thread I originally asked this in, so, I'm starting a new thread. Is it true that I can buy the $25 powder measure dies for 38/357, 44, 45ACP and 45LC and just switch dies for each caliber without having to reset the powder measure each time? Can I buy one expander from powderfunnel.com that will fit all of these? Then I just switch out the expander each time I change calibers right? This is better than the PTX dies? What about 9mm, .223, 243, 25-06? Does powderfunnel.com make one for these calibers or do I have to buy the PTX from Hornady from these?

I buy the quick change kit which is the bottom part of the powder measure. That way you just swap that part out per caliber. I have one for each caliber I shoot. It keeps all your powder measure settings the same. Well not the amount of powder that comes out but the amount of belling and all that jazz. Worth it in my opinion.

Didn't want to hijack the LNL thread I originally asked this in, so, I'm starting a new thread. Is it true that I can buy the $25 powder measure dies for 38/357, 44, 45ACP and 45LC and just switch dies for each caliber without having to reset the powder measure each time? Can I buy one expander from powderfunnel.com that will fit all of these? Then I just switch out the expander each time I change calibers right? This is better than the PTX dies? What about 9mm, .223, 243, 25-06? Does powderfunnel.com make one for these calibers or do I have to buy the PTX from Hornady from these?

Yes, you can buy the pistol powder metering insert, and keep it set for each powder throw weight, ie 4grains, 15grains etc, I would still check before loading, different lots of powder weight different for me some times. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/631849/hornady-lock-n-load-powder-measure-handgun-metering-assembly?cm_vc=OBv1164839

The powder measure will still have to be adjusted for each different brass length, unless you buy what Babaganoosh is talking about (and I think this is what you are talking about). http://www.midwayusa.com/product/231522/hornady-quick-change-powder-die - I didnt know these existed, this would make the 9mm->.223 switch very painless.

If you get the Powder funnel(PF) (www.powderfunnels.com), it looks like you could set each quick change powder die up to use that, then just switch the PF between each one for loading.

Very interesting. I may have to pick up a Powder Funnel, and a couple quick change dies.

I dont think you'll need an expander for Rifle, I dont use one for .223.

The powderfunnel DOES NOT expand the case. All it does is flare/bell the case mouth.

This is not the path to accurate loads. You should, if you really want/need to use the powder funnel to place a real expander die before it. The case really needs to expanded, over most/all the length that the bullet will be seated, to just under the bullet diameter. For a .355" bullet, the case ID (NOT where the case mouth is flared, but a bit deeper) needs to be no more than 0.354" and not less than 0.353".

I have the powderfunnels.com PTX die, It does .355 cases and up just fine. It doesnt work with 223, I swapped back to standard small caliber die when I was swapping metering assemblies from pistol to rifle.

One other thing you might consider, RCBS came out with powder funnels that expands & bells the mouth like a Dillon funnel does. It should fit inside the LNL powder die & function the way the PTX funnels should have. It is designed to work the case activated linkage kits for Hornady & RCBS powder measures.

Here is a link to one for .45 caliber, there are other calibers available.

Off topic but I was considering this option of powder funnels because I wanted to make use of my 70's era Uniflo measure on my Dillons, I bought the Hornady linkage kit, modified it to work on my Dillon 550's, so now I have a case activated hybrid powder measure system that I can use to load extruded powders. For me the Uniflo is more accurate than the Dillon measure. I can take it off & change calibers easily & I didn't have to invest in updating my powder dies or funnels, the adapter my machinist buddy made goes on to the Dillon powder die & uses the Dillon funnel. I should get the micrometer for my Uniflo tomorrow so I'll be using that from now on.

Edited by Glockman1000

I have the same powder measure plus another Hornady one much older model with the hand crank also on the rotor. Wonder if I could just buy two more sets of linkage and powder measure dies and make them dedicated for thier own calibers on my LNL. That is an awesome job there Gman!

I have the same powder measure plus another Hornady one much older model with the hand crank also on the rotor. Wonder if I could just buy two more sets of linkage and powder measure dies and make them dedicated for thier own calibers on my LNL. That is an awesome job there Gman!

If you have an old Uniflo it should work with the Hornady Case Activated Linkage kit. I'm not sure if it will work with the old Hornady powder measures. Hopefully someone will chime in on that.

My RCBS measure looks like yours. Its a short green tube though and the adjuster is black instead of stainless. The hornady's hopper is tall and slim with a rivet at the base on either side to hold the hopper in the base. Its a bit loose. It has a dial micrometer in it also. Not sure which model either of them are.

Looked at the Hornady one a bit closer. It has slotted screws holding the handle on the rotor instead of allen screws. There is no detent to release the micrometer. An allen screw is recessed into the rotor holding the micrometer in. A case moth adaptor screws up into the threaded part of the measure to drop powder. I do believe its an old one.

Now, after going back to look at my RCBS ( and get it out of mothballs) it too has the slotted screws holding the rotor arm on. It does say "UniFlow" on the cap of the reservoir. The entire rotor is black as is the powder adjustment.There is also a recessed allen screw ( no detent) on the handle side to remove the powder flow adjuster. It on the other side on the Hornady.

Sounds just like my Uniflo, the Hornady CAPD kit will work on it. It comes with everything you need to mount that on your LNL. It even comes with the Powder Measure stop in the kit. I used all the screws for the linkage to mount to the Uniflo. I just took off the rotor arm & bolted everything on. Looks like you have an extra powder measure!

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW, I bought the RCBS expander for my LNL powder drop. Quite often then cases latch on to the die, and when lowering the handle the RCBS die will be pulled a majority of its length out of the powder drop. I then need to use the ram to push the die back in. It will be coming out shortly and replaced with the powderfunnel die.

I found that the powder funnel worked effectively for seating 9mm lead, and the .357 PTX dies did not. I still am not sure why, but stopped caring 3 years ago, and just use the powder funnel for 9mm & .30 carbine. In .38, .40 & .45 the Hornady PTX work perfectly for me.

I have used the PowderFunnel since it first appeared on the market. Like another poster stated, the PowderFunnel does not "expand" the case to accept the bullet. It only "Bells" the case mouth. However, I strongly diagaree that it effects accuracy. And, that is based on my testing using a Ransom Rest machine rest and ammo produced with "expanded" verses"non-expanded" cases. I could find NO DIFFERENCE in accuracy. Pistol cases are thin and the difference of .002 - .003 neck expansion is negligible. At least with the following cartridges; 9mm, 38/357Mag, 40 S&W, 45ACP and, 44 MAG. It MIGHT be a factor on the giant cases, like 460 and 500 S&W . I don't know. If anything, the non-expanded cases have a stronger "grip" on the bullets. I found that particularly useful while using Bear Creek Moly Coated Bullets. They are REALLY slick and could be pushed into the case with firm finger pressure.

I use the PowderFunnel for every pistol case I load. I have purchased separate Hornady "Powder Dies" that are individually adjusted for each case. That makes it a dream to swap calibers. All you have to do is:

1. Disconnect the case-activated powder measure linkage,

2. Lift off the powder measure,

3. Unscrew the powder die,

4. Remove the PowderFunnel,

5. Insert new previously adjusted powder die,

6. Drop in the Powder Funnnel into the powder die

7. Insert powder measure into powder die and connect linkage

YOUR DONE!

Of course you have to change out your loading dies as well.

It works like a champ, saves time and if you find a sale, each Hornady Powder is going to be around $20-$25. Good Luck!!

I ended up buying several Hornady powder dies as well as several powder measure inserts. Now I keep the powder dies with the inserts together with the appropriate loading die set. Makes changing calibers a breeze. Also found it better in my case to buy powder measure inserts ( both standard and handgun) for each caliber. They are cheaper than the micrometers and I don't have to dial up a load setting for each time I change calibers. Now I just insert the meter, check the powder weight for accuracy and load away. Easy.

After using the PTX, RCBS, and now powderfunnel.com dies I can say that I believe the powderfunnel.com die works the best.

1. PTX - I couldn't quite get enough bell without dropping the powder drop itself too low in the press. I found the amount of bell kept differing too.

2. RCBS - Worked extremely well actually, but quite often the expanding part of the die would get caught in the case which yanks it out of the drop.

3. Powder funnel- doesn't expand, but bells nicely. Plus it doesn't try and find its way out of my powder drop.

+1 for powder funnel. Have used the old style ptx and new style ptx from hornady for 45 Acp. I have a match barrel with a very tight chamber. Both ptx made the press run very rough in order to get the proper flare to keep from shaving lead and still I would shave some lead and crush cases with my plated rounds. In fact the old style ptx only expanded with no flair. Powder funnel makes nice flair so I can seat my rounds without shaving lead and the press runs oh so smooth now. If I had bought the powder funnel first it would have saved a lot of headaches and wasted components.