Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long Range Practice/Training

Trying to get my long range(200-500 yds) skills up to par.Long range has been my weak point in multi gun.

Just wondering what are a few things (drills,etc) I should be doing to develop a dedicated practice and how some of you guys approach it.

Be interested to see get a baseline on times etc on some of your drills as well.

Thanks in advance!

Since you are in Idaho I wouldn't think it would be too hard to find some land to shoot out to 4-500 yards. Get a 10" steel plate and practice shooting at that. The mini popper from MGM is a good training tool also at 100 yards. Ironically, also in Idaho.

Trying to get my long range(200-500 yds) skills up to par.Long range has been my weak point in multi gun.

Just wondering what are a few things (drills,etc) I should be doing to develop a dedicated practice and how some of you guys approach it.

Be interested to see get a baseline on times etc on some of your drills as well.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Austin,

If I remember correctly you were on our squad at the Ruby Mt. Match. Still wishing for another bowl of the chile they served after the match! :eatdrink:

While I certainly don't feel that I'm an expert at long range, I've been able to improve my long range skills with a combination of a MGM mini popper and a MGM Flash Target. Both of those targets were on sale earlier this year. Before buying the Flash Target I was using a cardboard target with 4 8 Inch circles taped to it.

I set up the Mini Popper and one of those 4 in Do-All plastic balls at 100 yds and the Flash Target/Paper Targets at 300 yds. I will set up a "course" to shoot all the targets from different positions. For example

- Standing using the side/back of my jeep for a rest

- Then kneeling using a plastic saw horse/sage brush etc. Shoot from one knee, both knees or just leaning on the rest. You never know what position you will need to be in at a match

- Prone

Practice transitioning between the targets in different orders and different positions. Shoot from awkward or uncomfortable positions as well. I probably should, but haven't been keeping track of my times.

If you don't have re-settable targets I've attached a copy of my 8 in circle target, that can mimic the steel we have to shoot.

Regards,

Steve

Rifle8inCircle.pdf

Cool ill start there thanks for the input guys.

Good squad we had at ruby mt. Steve,it was that match that really made me get on the ball with my LR stuff.

I'm finally loading/shooting LR with some 69 SMK's so maybe that will help a little bit.

Until then shoot on!

I have recently started incorporating cardio into long-range practice. It does not happen in a lot of matches but, on occasion, you have to run before shooting long range targets. I admit I look like a shmuck running around the range and then shooting, but it helps to learn how to settle yourself when your heart is jumping out of your chest.

I think the key to successful shooting at long distances is the mental game. The distance number just gets into some people heads. Don't let it, block it out.

But the other very important part is knowing your hold overs, having an accurate load and knowing how well your gun shoots at distance.

You can't practice long distance shooting with practice ammo, it has to match quality stuff.

When you practice try this

1. Get in a very stable position and take as long as you need to a hit and take the best 5 shots you make. Write down the results, and take a 5 minute break.

2. Then do 5-10 push ups and 100yd sprint, something to really get your heart rate up. Then shoot another 5 shots, taking all the time you need to make hits. Record results

3. Repeat drill #2 but instead of a steal target use paper. This one is wicked hard, record results.

4 You can tune this drill to you're skill level, start out with big close targets, then as you gain confidence make them smaller and move them farther out. Seriously, start at 200 or closer

5. Do each of thes drills twice, a practice session. With a total of 30 rounds, give it total focus, and 100% effort, and you will get better or cuss me up and down.

Let me how it turns out.

Best practice I have done for long range rifle stages was walking and running on my treadmill then stopping and dry firing on a small target. Made me work on controlling

My breathing quickly and being patient enought to press the trigger when the sight was on the target

Mike

Agreed on the mental aspect,I think my biggest block is the confidence level in knowing the LR game.

I'm going to be going out with some paper and steel and just see where stuff hits and begin building the confidence.

I will for sure add the cardio to it as I practice that with all 3-Guns on the smaller bays/stages.

Thanks guys for the tips and I'll keep you updated.

MyLFirst LR load btw is :

69 SMK

New LC brass

Fed. primer

24.5 gr. Varget

2.250 OAL

Hope it shoots OK..

• 1 month later...

Learning your holdovers is the easy part. After that it's all about building the shot. I come from a little different background than most 3 gunners. Seems most come from pistol shooting where I was mostly a benchrest and f class shooter. Since you're located in an area that's snowed in during the winter months like me. I would suggest looking for a club that has an indoor 4 position rimfire league. Range is only 50ft but your target is only .17". It's about the best accuracy and shot building exercise you can do.

Fyi long guns are about the only thing that keep me towards the top at local matches. My pistol shooting still sucks but I'm working on it.

I'm a noob myself but my rifle is what keeps me at the prize table.

Best advice I can give is to practice getting into a SOLID position before you break the first shot. I see too many guys trying to force shots from bad positions. Once you're confortable getting into the most solid position you can, practice getting that first shot off and getting a hit. The first shot tends to dictate how the rest of the stage will go. When I practice LR rifle, I don't go for distance, I go for one shot one hit. Make up shots kill the rifle times.

Spend some time and make a set of the V-Tac barricades. I made a few of them and they help out a lot.